Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for the summer work to get finished! I'm about to attempt to replace the slides on my 92 Indy SKS. I've read the manual, but it never goes that easy, does it. [B)]

Does anyone have any tips for making this job a little easier [?]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I am assuming that you mean you are changing the hyfax.

If you remove the rear skid from your sled, it is a lot easier to do, and you can check and change any bearings. You can also grease the suspension while it is out.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You should be able to remove the bolt at the front of the skid holding the hyfax in place, jack up the back end of the sled and slide the slider through one of the track windows... do one side at a time using the old hyfax as a guide to cut them to length. Make sure you arent cutting the wrong side of the hyfax off... (I've never made that mistake)[:D][B)] However as Bigwilly said now is a good time to just take the whole skid out and check everything over.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would also recommend removing the skid. I found a few more problems that needed to be addressed when I replaced my slides/hyfax last year. I found a cracked up spring stopper, bad limiter strap, and a few bad bearings. It was pretty good learning experience too. An extra set of hands is nice when getting the skid back into the sled.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Especially with this older sled - I agree with all above posts. WL.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I also agree with taking out the skid and checking over everything. Better to do it now than have to do it when you could be riding. The season is already way too short for most of us.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I was looking to just do the hyfax, but I will take your advice and pull the skid while it's still warm outside.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
A tip for when you are changing your hyfax is use the screw that hold them onto the rails and screw the new ones to the old ones for cutting them... It makes sure that it is the proper length... And it does help to have someone help you when putting the skid back in the sled, cause sometimes it just doesn't want to go home...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm glad I pulled the skid! [:0] There are grease fittings in there I've never seen. [:I]

The rear shock is toast, one plastic spring adjuster is broken, the upper idler wheeks have a flat spot each, one has a bad bearing, and there is a worn in spot on each front spring roller. [xx(] To boot, I cut the slides wrong [B)].

Here's a question while I'm in there...how can you tell if you need to replace the rear springs[?] There's a lot of adjustment in this XX suspension, so I haven't bottomed or such.

I'll post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by brsacjab
[br]The rear shock is toast, one plastic spring adjuster is broken, the upper idler wheeks have a flat spot each, one has a bad bearing, and there is a worn in spot on each front spring roller. [xx(]
It's better to find this stuff out now, instead of on your first ride...[;)]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ah yes,the old dial adjust suspention,the upper idlers,replace both and new bearings,springs slides i bet every sled like that has flat spots,if your not bottoming now,with a new shock it will even resist bottoming more,i almost garrantee if you look hard those suspension arms will be cracked on the welds somewhere,and the aluminium cross shafts in the suspension arms will bind when you try to take them out,the arms are bent,i ussally grind a little of the shafts in the middle just to make them a little looser

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
see...good thing u pulled the skid b4 everyting started to go wrong come bout january...

·
Registered
777 Posts
barscjab
I pm,d you,, I think, if it worked

1 - 14 of 14 Posts