Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 16, and I just purchased a used 1997 MXZ440F with 930 miles,(yes, 930). I pulled it out of the guys heated garage, started in 3 pulls, and test drove it. It ran great, no problems in acceleration or anything. I purchased it, and put it in my trailer uncovered and drove an hour to my house. I got home and started the sled while using the choke. It fired right up and idled nice. I slowly accelerated about 30ft and it bogged down and died. I restarted and moved another 30ft, it bogged, but I kept it running. After about 3 or 4 minutes of this I just parked it. It was about 7 degrees out. Is this just the result of the sled being cold or a more serious problem? What should I do, I dont know anything about snowmobiles!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Check the plugs. See if they need to be changed. Thats where I would start. You may have fouled one of them. That could make it bogg down pretty bad.

·
Registered
725 Posts
my buddy had a 97 formula 500 (fan) and it was pretty touchy when it was cold, were you driving with the choke on? if so dont! .... get a stand, put the rear bumper on a stand, so the track is off the ground. When you first start it, let it idle for a while, then when it is warm enough to take throttle, just run about 5000 rpm on the stand for a second, this will clear out some of the smoke they make when they are cold. I always warm mine up on a stand, my guess is you were trying to drive it when it was too cold, or you had the choke on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the choke was not on, but thanks for the help, I was a little worried. I'll go get myself a stand and some spark plugs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
ya, that's the thing with spark plugs. one moment there good, then bang there shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried it today, the plugs were good it's just that it took about a good 3-5 minutes of idling and revving it up before it quit bogging. Its doesn't like cold weather too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 97 440 fanner and you need to let them warm up for about 5 minutes. If you can't wait just flip the choke on for a few seconds when it starts bogging.

·
Registered
295 Posts
you have 2 giver 4-5 minutes to warm up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts