Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new AMsnow magazine in the mail today. And there was a thing on sound level. In Wisconsin they have set a sound standard (SAE J-2567) of 88 decibels. It also says that other states will probably be falling. It's on page 46 if anyone gets the magazine and wants to read it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yeah I heard they are really gonna crack down on sound this year. I dunno I don't mind when the sound is actually for more power, other than to be just plain loud.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Bah, stupid people. Some people just can't accept life isn't perfect. "Oh my god, I just heard that sled that drove by though the ditch, call the cops, he's causing me mental anguish"

·
Registered
168 Posts
It sucks that the whiney ppl get listen to so well. A good trail going north outta my town got closed pretty quick outta no where becuz a handful of ppl that own property the trail goes on, didnt want it anymore. All these years of that trail being open, and now they cry about it and screw over proabably a couple thousand or so of sleders every season its closed.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
God Forbid they EVER make a law on the noise from a Harley...WHich are louder than sleds, and drive through the middle of town. I heard they will be testing your sled a 4000 RPM, from 4 different locations of the decible meter...

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Just means there will be more of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvH9mEIGm-s

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Originally posted by TheJcode
[br]It sucks that the whiney ppl get listen to so well. A good trail going north outta my town got closed pretty quick outta no where becuz a handful of ppl that own property the trail goes on, didnt want it anymore. All these years of that trail being open, and now they cry about it and screw over proabably a couple thousand or so of sleders every season its closed.
What do you expect when whiney ppl OWN the land? That is why it is so important to respect the property owners and not irritate them with loud exhausts.
If I owned land that I let others use it I would expect to be shown respect and appreciation, Woundn't you?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sure I would. The few times I got a chance to ride on it I respected it and drove mellow, not to mention I was riding a 91 440 jag so wasnt loud.

But after all these years, BAM. *sigh* Not to mention DNR (or whomever takes care of it) offered to buy that quarter acre of land off them and pay the taxes and if anything happend on that trail, nothing the former owner has to worry about.

Does boil down to loud exhaust though. If they werent loud, no one would care. I know we have loud ass mudder trucks. harleys. and cars with rusted trhough exhaust and have yet to hear laws even considering that.

I personally dont really mind loud exhaust (long as its worth a damn for performance), it just be nice to see ppl not be so damn hypocritical about

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yes, they passed this last year and it went into effect in April. I personally thinkit's better than the old law where any aftermarket exhaust was possibly illegal as the officer had the discretion. Personally though, there are loop holes. For instance the test cannot be performed on anything but snow or grass. Choose your surface wisely, for instance I would roll my sled into a bank and test it there. The tester must also calibrate the unit for the area. But my question is, how can you fight this ticket, more I mean where, I don't believe there is DNR court?[:I]

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Also, another note is the tester must be 4ft off the groud and 10 feet from the middle of your sled.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Newhampshire has droped their DB level aswell and the law states that it is ILEAGAL to have a modified Exhaust of any kind!!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would be willing to bet my stock 98xc700 exhaust is over most db limits the thing is just plain loud....but in a good way :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
That reminds me of my buddy. Him and someone else would go piss of skiers and ride the cross country trails. Or go climb the local ski hill at night. They always have a escape route they check is clear before hand though cuz they have had to use one a time or two.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mine would never pass, its loud, last year i bought my 95 xcr 600 and got the motor rebuilt and have lots of mods done to it including psi modblaster pipes, and we went to michigan, and it was about the first 15 minutes on the trail and one of my dads friends were riding with us and he hadn't really heard my sled except when idling and i blew passed him, it was hilarious because he about fell off the sled, when we got to the gas station i asked him about it, and he said he didnt know what the hell it was, he said it scared the **** out of him

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I believe in NY the db level is 74. That is low. I researched and found that my stock exhaust is around 84 I believe. A few years ago when I took my 98 Formula Z 670 out for the first ride I had a trooper stop me. He opened the hood and found it was stock. I asked what he was looking for, he staid it was loud and he thought he would have his first ticket for loud exhaust for the season!

I know here in NY we have to have the system looked at. When the set level is lower then stock exhaust then the db level needs to be increased for the state standards. I think there should be some sort of control over how loud it can be, but there should some give and take.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I put an SLP can on my sled and its no louder than it was stock

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by torkerob
[br]
Originally posted by TheJcode
[br]It sucks that the whiney ppl get listen to so well. A good trail going north outta my town got closed pretty quick outta no where becuz a handful of ppl that own property the trail goes on, didnt want it anymore. All these years of that trail being open, and now they cry about it and screw over proabably a couple thousand or so of sleders every season its closed.
What do you expect when whiney ppl OWN the land? That is why it is so important to respect the property owners and not irritate them with loud exhausts.
If I owned land that I let others use it I would expect to be shown respect and appreciation, Woundn't you?
ALL the trails I ride on are owned by the state, Therefore If I get fined for having a loud sled (being miles from the nearest house), it will be some complete BS.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts