Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinkin of a new stereo for my new car. My 12's didnt fit real good in the trunk i want to carry other things in my trunk...so im tradin those off for some 10's probably and a higher power amp and keepin my 200 for my other speakers, went to the local place and got some numbers, and they high, so i'll probably just get the door speakers and dash tweeters put in from him, and get my CD players switch and they wire stuff for my amps. then just go online and buy a new amp and subs.

im thinkin MTX 8000's or 6000's, or go rockford fosgate. im not sure yet. im bout 99% sure im goin w/ hifonics amp, unless someone can change my mind here.

here is what he wrote up for me:

Hifonics Thor.........................................225
MTX T8108 subs and box.........................450
less trade, 12" JL...........................-150
JVC KD-SX980 (cd player)......................299
less trade.......................................-90
JL Audio VR 525 cs.................................135
and other install kits and labor.................

it came out to 975 w/ the 8000's subs, and 880 w/ the 6000's, but no i decided i dont need a new CD player so that knocks 200 bucks off of those figures. everything i found online is agood 50 bucks cheaper than what he has it for. the HiFonics Thor is a 500 watt amp, and used.....so i tink that is a rip off, this guy is a good salesman tho, he makes it sounds like everything is great and worth the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright man, I have a few suggestions for you. First of all, let's aproach this with simplicity. You want good sound, and you want it for cheap, so one would reason that the fewest components necessary to do the job correctly would be a good option. First of all, I'd recomend a pair of high quality coaxials over components when you're working with a budget. JL makes some nice coaxials, but the best I've heard to date are Eclipse Pointsource coaxials. Now lets aproach the low frequency part of the spectrum: you want good bass but aren't willing to sacrafice a lot of space or money: a common predicamend. I would recomend you look into one high quality subwoofer rather than two less expension ones. A single good 12 can provide just as much bass with more clarity than a pair of MTX 8000 series 10s. For this application I recomend a driver from the following list:

Digital Designs 9512, 3512, or 2012
Blueprint 1203
Resonant Engineering 12HC
Beyond Audio X-one 12
Alpine Type R 12 (if you are really looking to save money)
Kicker L712
Shocker Audio X-treme 12
Adire Audio Brahma 12
Image Dynamics IDMAX 12
there are a few more but I can't recall them off the top of my head right now

For amplifiers you'll also want to keep things as simple as possible and as cost efficient as possible. For cost efficiency, I don't think you'll find a better amplifier than the JBL Powervalve series. I would strongly suggest you purchase an amplifier for your front speakers, along with one for the sub, or possibly a large 4 channel to power the works.

Now to choose a head unit. This part is mostly up to you, as you'll be the one dealing with it on a daily basis and user interface is an extremely important factor to take into account. I'd test as many decks as you possibly can and pick the one that has the features you need, for the price you need, and is easy for you to control.

All in all, this is what I'd do for a $1000 budget:

Front Speaks- Eclipse Point Source Coaxials - around $200 from a shop
Sub- Digital Designs 3512 - $200 shipped from DD directly
Amps- JBL BP1200.1 for sub- $285 shipped from Ikesound
JBL P180.2 for front speaks- $149 shipped from Ikesound
Head unit- really up to you but I'd take a Pioneer DEH-P6400 for $229 from The Zeb

That would provide you with a great sounding system for a great price. And the JBL 1200.1 would make the 500 watt Hifonics look pretty bad IMO lol. Drop the DD 3512 in a 2 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 35 Hz and you'll have excellent extension and transient response. I would forget about rear speakers all together and just run the Pointsources up front, in kickpanels preferably if you can make them. If not kicks, doors will work fine too. Fire away if you have any questions about what I said here.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good adivce, but to late, got it put in last week. kept my 2 12's and my 200 watt amp, got a JVC deck, and MTX 6 1/2"s for my doors, thas all that i could afford, or that i wanted to spend i guess

1 - 3 of 3 Posts