Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finished my sled finally. This is my first season jumping and would like to proceed and advance in it....Can i please get some tips, like stances, ways to approach a jump, ways to predict what my sled wil do, things i can do to my sled....i have an edge chassis and they have narrow running boards, i twisted my ankle landing a jump, i'm guessing these sleds arnt made to jump....all help is well appreciated....

Heres My Sled
[attachment=58554]
[attachment=58555]

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think the type of sled you have could have contributed to a twisted ankle.

First of all, it's best to keep your feet near the front of the running boards. I keep mine tucked in the footwells. This helps give you a better view of the landing and centralizes the mass on the sled.

Secondly, you need to get confortable with how to change the pitch that the sled is at when in the air. I see people jumping all the time where their skis are way in the air and they come slamming down tail first and then the front flaps down hard. It's much easier on your sled and body to land either flat or just slightly tail first.

When in the air, you can bring the nose down by using the break. Also, hitting the gas will bring the nose up.

I suggest finding a jump you can try this out on and get confortable being able to adjust the pitch of the sled in the air.

Also, it's a lot easier to have some speed before hitting a jump rather then trying to mash the gas on the way up and tear it apart with your track. This also is a major contributor to flying through the air with the nose too high.

When I jump I have 95% of my speed already gathered when I start up the jump itself.

This is pic showing me tapping the break in the 3rd frame to bring the nose down, then tapping the gas a little at the end and bringing it back up. I probably didn't need to bring the nose back up but I'm still learning.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem jumping that sled. I have a triple and I have no problem jumping it. Be careful not to mash on the brakes in the air. this could cause you to land very hard on the nose of your sled. Trust me I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The edge chassis will jump hills fine!, if your feet are having a hard time time staying in place you should get a set of rox sled treads, they help a lot! If you are jumping a good size jump, make sure that you DONT put your feet in the foot wells!!!! if you land funny and fall off there is a good chance you will get your foot caught and be dragged behind your sled, or break your leg. If your nose is up too high tap the break. You have to find out for your self, start small and work your way up. Practice makes perfect!![:D]

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Some advice I can give is if you've twisted your ankle, perhaps it's time for some ankle-supporting boots, similar to snowboard boots. I think lots of those companies like HMK and Castle make them. I have Polaris boots, it's almost like wearing a skate.

Be prepared to not land every jump perfectly. Chances are you're gonna fall off. Also if you get really screwed up in the air let the sled go. I've tried to save my landings too many times to count and it usually ends up hurting more than just letting the machine go.

I don't have one, but I'd recommend a tether as well. If you land funny, sled tips and throttle gets mashed or something weird happens, the sled can sit upside down running wide open, which is not a good thing. Or it can go full blast into trees with no rider.

I personally never jump with my feet in the footwells either, like sledwrecker said above your foot could get caught and that would lead to a whole lot of unpleasantness.

I guess this is my general "jumping stance"

[galleryattach=7105]

[galleryattach=7099]

[galleryattach=7112]

Also I would recommend not starting on 15 foot high face 60 foot long doubles. Start smaller, get a feel for it and get bigger with time. Do it over and over until you feel comfortable. It's fun, but be at least sort of careful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmmm, it seems my method for jumping a 151" sled is a little different then for a short track. I also like to keep my feet in the running boards so when I'm falling back to earth they stay in place rather then having air under them and the running boards.

As Viper17 mentioned, start lightly on the brake in the air to get a feel for how it will make the sled react.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Originally posted by Ekliptix
[br]Hmmm, it seems my method for jumping a 151" sled is a little different then for a short track. I also like to keep my feet in the running boards so when I'm falling back to earth they stay in place rather then having air under them and the running boards.

As Viper17 mentioned, start lightly on the brake in the air to get a feel for how it will make the sled react.

Agree with ya Ekliptix, longer tracks and where n how we jump are different than on the flats

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
[br]Hmmm, it seems my method for jumping a 151" sled is a little different then for a short track. I also like to keep my feet in the running boards so when I'm falling back to earth they stay in place rather then having air under them and the running boards.

Last time out riding we didn't have much powder out here so it was mainly roaming around looking for places to jump and such. I was one kneeing it and hit a little roller which somehow launched me into the air and the sled stayed quite a ways below me. I was doing somewhat of a superman and pulled myself back to the sled. Somehow both of my feet landed on the seat and I rode it out. Don't ask me how I did that. I even asked myself why I wasn't laying on my stomach on the seat holding on or on the ground, but somehow it worked out. And of course, noone saw it.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Originally posted by ACG
[br]

Last time out riding we didn't have much powder out here so it was mainly roaming around looking for places to jump and such. I was one kneeing it and hit a little roller which somehow launched me into the air and the sled stayed quite a ways below me. I was doing somewhat of a superman and pulled myself back to the sled. Somehow both of my feet landed on the seat and I rode it out. Don't ask me how I did that. I even asked myself why I wasn't laying on my stomach on the seat holding on or on the ground, but somehow it worked out. And of course, noone saw it.
isnt that how it always happens ACG no one sees u do suttin i hate that lol. but everyone pretty much sumed up the brake thing also if u hit your gas your front end goes up worst thing to do( i have done it b4) but one thing i do is when i am approching the jump i always bend my knees so when i hit the jump my knees obsorbe the hit. thats about all i can give yea if i come up with suttin else i do ill post it up. i am think about them right now and nothing else comes to mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey man this was my first year jumping also and i am not affraid to get hurt.. My advise to you is start some what small and work you way up. Speeds are the hardest thing to get down pat espeically when gaping things. You best bet for that is go with ur gut. Also i can tell me second i am on the jump were i am going how far and how angled my sled will be so i can even it out it takes practice but i am going 10-15 feet high no prob now and this is a legit hight with 40 foot gaps easily look at my sit in my sledding pics www.freewebs.com/natural_born_sledders/ my name is mckenzie practice makes perfect! also for the running bored thing i would not put them under ur footweels until u get used to jumping and what not since if u ever have to bail ur feet will be caught up there and you could get hurt..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help, really appreciate it....mckenzie i saw u jumping that step down by timmins colision, maybe if i see u again u can show me a few things

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Here is how I learned to jump.

I was out riding one day and inadveritantly hit a small drift and got some air. Thought to myself "that was cool." I then turned around and tried it a little bit faster. Got a little bit more air. Thought that doing this was awsome. Ride some mroe and see another drift and think to myself "you know, if I ride towards this drift I will probably jump it." Cautiously approach drift and drive over it. Get some air so I turn around and drive towards it a little bit faster. Again I get air. By this time I am finding this quite enjoyable and thrilling. So jump that drift a few more times. Figure it is time to go home for the night. So I went home and though about how much fun it was to get a little bit of air on my sled.

Next day I go out riding and start finding some hills with drifts and such that looks like I could jump. So as usual I approach them cautiously and get a little bit of air. Everything went good so figure I would hit them a little bit faster. Guess what, I got some more air.

So to sum things up here, I just went and did it, I didn't need to come on to some snowmobile forum to ask how to jump. Didn't need to ask my friends how to jump. It is something you just need to go out and do. It really isn't that hard.

You want to know how I learned to carve? Same way. Thinking "I have seen people do his in powder so I am going to try." Tip sled over and sled stops on its side. Figure this isn't working so try it again. Now it is simple. Go out there and do it. Don't waste your time on the internet asking how.

As for your sled and jumping. Do you think that people didn't jump back in the 70s and 80s? I learned to ride on a 1974 Panther. I had that airborne plenty. You don't need a snox sled to jump. Here is my friend on a 1993 XLT 600.

[attachment=51854]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i agree with ACG on this one. i mean i was 8 years old jumping a 78 jag 3000. just gotta get out there and do it. but one thing with asking how is you do learn the throttle and brake tips. without knowing those youde be landing nose up ALOT. alot of beginner jumpers hold it pinned when jumping and thats a no no unless your back flipping

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]i agree with ACG on this one. i mean i was 8 years old jumping a 78 jag 3000. just gotta get out there and do it. but one thing with asking how is you do learn the throttle and brake tips. without knowing those youde be landing nose up ALOT. alot of beginner jumpers hold it pinned when jumping and thats a no no unless your back flipping
I learned the throttle brake thing by watching like 2 snox races. Everyone wants to be a snox racer so they should see this on TV and learn.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i already know how to jump like little snow drifts and what not, what i was asking is for tips on how to improve and kick it up a notch, sorry for any confusion....i hope the info provided has helped other people out too....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got one question for ya proracer, What do you have for a bar setup on your sled. sorry not trying to change the subject or anything but just wanted to know.

Thanks, much

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
all powermadd products: pivot adaptor, 4" riser, throttle extension, hand guards, hand guard mounting kit.... i see that you have the same sled as me, if u use the same set up u wont need a break line ext. and you will have to splice your electrical but ur head light wires will be long enough....anyways back to the topic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just go out there and get er done ahaha yah we made a step up tonight there and will be out there tommrow come out and ill show u some stuff. Main thing is to trust ur gut feeling and cant be affarid to get hurt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts