Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just bought my first sled. It's a late 80s Exciter with a water cooled 570. When I bought it I was told it just needed carb work but after rebuilding the carbs I have now been told that the crank seal is sucking air causing the motor to rev at very high rpm and that it would be easier to replace the motor than tear this one apart to replace this seal.
So my options are to save some cash for a new or used motor and probably wait till next year to ride, or buy a wrecked phazer with a air cooled 570 that runs great and try to transfer the track, skis, plastics pretty much everything over from my exciter.Does anybody know if they are interchangable. They look the same and the phazer is only $100.
Just hoping for some feedback/help. I live in michigan and the snow is melting fast.
Thanks for reading,
Jimmy

·
Registered
369 Posts
You can test to see if the seal is bad. Just spray some brake clean or starting fluid on the seal with the motor running for a split second. If the motor starts to rev higher its sucking in air from the outside. Are you sure you cleaned all the jets and ports out in the carb??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Back in the 80s, I bought an 86 Phazer then traded it for an 87 Exciter the next summer. They are not the same sleds at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tjmoening said:
Phazers are not 570 cc motors, they are 488 fan motors. The difference in performance would be BIG!
Thanks for the info. You are right I called the guy with the phazer, He didn't even know what motor he had. He still thinks I could swap all my parts on to his sled but I am begining to think he doesn't much about.

BAMT700 said:
You can test to see if the seal is bad. Just spray some brake clean or starting fluid on the seal with the motor running for a split second. If the motor starts to rev higher its sucking in air from the outside. Are you sure you cleaned all the jets and ports out in the carb??
Ya that is exactly how we determined it was the crank seal. We let all the jets and ports soak overnight before we cleaned them too. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cooper30 said:
Back in the 80s, I bought an 86 Phazer then traded it for an 87 Exciter the next summer. They are not the same sleds at all.
Thank you somuch. I am going to pass on the phazer and give up any hopes of riding this season. I bought a manual for the exciter today. Time to tear into this motor and see how hard it will be to get at the crank seal.
The rest of the sled is in great shape. I figure I can at least try to rebuild the motor before I buy another one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Look at the tear down in the manual and determine what gaskets you will need. Order those and the seal first. Then, you will be able to get the motor together quickly (if there is nothing else wrong). You could probably tear it down and put it back together in the same day if you have everything you need. There is still a little bit of the season left, if you get a jump on things you may still be able to ride. Don't give up hope yet!

Where do you live in MI??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so far south you could almost caonsider me a buckeye!!(monroe county) I love your optimisim though. I am going to give it a shot. I just sat down to find a seal kit when I saw your post. I am pretty green when it comes to 2 strokes but I have a nephew who is pretty good to help me. Neither of us have ever had a crankcase apart though. It will be a learning experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ask if you need any help. All I can say is do not pry the case apart with a screw driver or anything that will leave indentations. You can also buy a product from yamalube that is a case sealer. Works great for anything with a motor. Just some added protection when you seal your case back up. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks again Bamt7. It will take a couple days to get the seal kit, but I may take you up on the questions.
I really appreciate everybodys input here I am glad I joined and will be cheking in often. Ride safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts