Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k so i bought a 1999 600 xc sp im new to sleding i have a quad already.
i have a couple of questions about my sled like...

> i have a exhaust leak on my u pipe caused by the can by pounding at the top its a big hole like 1 inch long and 4 to 5 cm wide... its robbing power???

> and when i turn my clutch it seem to only compress one time its a twin so isn't it suppose to do it twice?

> do i change the motor oil or does the two stroke oil reservoir feed oil to the motor?

· Registered
2,432 Posts
imcrazed said:
> do i change the motor oil or does the two stroke oil reservoir feed oil to the motor?
First off.....Welcome to the site and our awesome sport of snowmobiling. Your sled is a 2 stroke. Just add gas and keep your oil tank full above can. You never need to change the oil.

· Registered
222 Posts
ya if you put some pics up its easier to help out. people demand pics on this site haha

· Registered
35 Posts
Your motor compresses at each stoke. It only does it one at a time. When you turn it over, one cylinder will compress then as you turn it again the other will compress.

A hole that big in the pipe will definitely cause a power lose and could potentially burn down the motor. Get it fixed or buy a new pipe.

· Registered
2,381 Posts
imcrazed said:
k so i bought a 1999 600 xc sp im new to sleding i have a quad already.
i have a couple of questions about my sled like...

> i have a exhaust leak on my [highlight=yellow]u pipe [/highlight=yellow]caused by the can by pounding at the top its a big hole like 1 inch long and 4 to 5 cm wide... its robbing power???

> and when i turn my clutch it seem to only compress one time its a twin so isn't it suppose to do it twice?

It's a Y-pipe, not a u pipe, and yes, you should fix that because you're loosing back pressure.
Don't know about the clutch and most 2-strokes have an oil reservoir unless you go with a sno cross sled which most don't have a reservoir and would have to be premixed.
Welcome to snowmobiling. Stay safe and have fun.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome to the site...dont mean to highjack the thread but is that a 660 or 700 Raptor?

· Registered
708 Posts
FYI dont double post the same topic. See your other post for my response.

· Registered
708 Posts
imcrazed said:
no dude its a u pipe its not off the motor its after the can

lol 02 660 raptor with just the k&n filter and power lid and the carbs are jetted
I think he means the "U" section of exhaust after the expansion pipe but before the exhaust can...?

· Registered
222 Posts
I was tlakin with my dad tonight baout the hole in your Y pipe and if you have a wire feed welder like a millermatic or something just clean the surface around the hole and do some welding and if the hole isnt more than in ch you can probably just bead it over with some weld and that would hold until you got a new section of Y pipe

· Registered
2,432 Posts
It's not the Y pipe. It's a piece of pipe on the can that has a hole.

· Registered
222 Posts
bigrok said:
Still, you can fix it just the same way. take a wire feed to it and tack it up

· Registered
708 Posts
MN_SlEdnEck said:
bigrok said:
Still, you can fix it just the same way. take a wire feed to it and tack it up
Ive been there done that and it didnt go as well as you might think. of course I dont have much seat time behind a welder, it does take some skill to bead over a fairly large hole especially if the material is thin and/or dirty. Your better off takin it somewhere to someone who can weld good and paying a few bucks. Yeah...how about a pic man were all wondering what the hell your talkin about because when someone says "the can" that the very last section in the exhaust. The firs section is the "Y" pipe, then the expansion pipe, then ususally a "U" shaped pipe that directs it into the can....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.