Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so dont laugh at me about this ... I am new to this snowmobiling thing. How do you drive a sled? Is there anything special that you need to know? How about gas? Can you get gas at the gas station from the pump or do you have to mix oil and gas together? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Puddleduck[blue]Ok so dont laugh at me about this ... I am new to this snowmobiling thing. How do you drive a sled? Is there anything special that you need to know? How about gas. Can you get gas at the gas station from the pump or do you have to mix oil and gas together? Please let me know. [/blue]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
well....how to drive, have u ever drove a 4wheeler or jetski? it is similar to that, right had thumb squeezes the gas on a sled and left hand fingers squeeze the brake. it will seem weird at first cuz u need to rev the engine up to what will seem high RPM's to get it to move, then just drive it like a car, let off the gas to slwo down, new sleds (except for the raceing polaris) use regular gas, but have injector oil you will need to fill up in a separate tank quite a bit, unlike a car. never let this oil run out. on older machines, u need to mix the gas and oil.

Ready to Ride...NEED SNOW!!!!!!...if you have snow, i hate you...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Cat guy got it about right.

To get the machine to go all you basically do is squeeze the throttle.

Snowmobiles are a lot faster and more responsive than ATV's though.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
a reverse transmission is optional on some sleds, most dont have it tho. You will find almost no use for reverse unless u back outa a pickup box or outa a garage. There is no park, u just jump on, start it up (let it warm up), hit the gas and go.

You must really be new, where ya from?

if u plan on buying or riding, or whatever u plan on doing, I would recomend finding a friend that owns one and have him give u pointers. remember to start out small w/ a small engine, a 500cc engine is smaller than a 700cc engine.

Ready to Ride...NEED SNOW!!!!!!...if you have snow, i hate you...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My sled has a parking brake.....so in theory it does have park. It is basically a little switch on the brake lever that you can flip down and keep the brake engaged.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:

I got a sneaky feeling you guys are getting your legs pulled.

[/quote]

Hmmm.....not sure about this one, but you might be right. I'd need a few more posts from puddleduck to be sure. His/her email is a school address, maybe a university. My old college email ended in .edu

Anyways, if your for real puddleduck, don't be ashamed to ask any questions about something your interested in. If your not, please don't waist our time.

1997 XLT SP 600

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um Hi

I just want to let you guys know that its not a joke. I have no clue how to drive one.

Some friends and I are going on a retreat this next weekend and they have snowmobiles there and they were like anyone who is over 18 can drive/ride one so I was just wondering how I would do that since I have never done it before.

Thanks for thinking I was pulling your leg...... Oh yeah and for your info I do go to a University.....thats why it does have .edu behind my email....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheer up dude. I'm sure no one meant to slag you. Snowmobiling is a great source of entertainment for the novice or expert.

A little more info on yourself may have helped but we are all pretty good to give you the info you are looking for.

It doesn't hurt to be a little timid at first. One of my buddies in his mid 30's, very experienced at riding a dirt bike/harley almost parked my sled his first time into the side of a pickup! Then didn't know how to turn on pavement and wound up in a snowbank across the street. All harmless but with a little more instruction, and he was off with the best of us.

It just foreign until you've done it once or twice.

Cheers!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just like everyone else stated puddle that's how it's done. Just have respect for the machine and don't be over confident. You can hurt yourself or someone else quite easily and quickly. Welcome to the forum and have a safe ride B-)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just thought......now I'm jealous! At least you have some place to ride, I sure don't. Have a good one brother

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good info and for all your help. Forgive me for being rude in my last message.

Oh yeah and Im from Wisconsin too....

Thanks again,
Puddleduck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I go to school at UW-Platteville but I live in Wisconsin Rapids

Im going to Eagle River this weekend!!! :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No hard feelings puddleduck, and welcome to the forum. I think you'll really love the sport of snowmobiling, its definately my favorite.

Just take it slow in the begining, and get the feel of the sled and how it operates. Like everyone else has said, there are no gears to shift, you just squeeze the throttle on the right w/your thumb, to make it go, and squeeze the brake lever on the left w/your fingers to stop. Make sure you lean in the direction your turning to balance yourself. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

1997 XLT SP 600

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry to ruffle your" feathers" puddleduck. We do get the odd" Turkey" on here. Im just as "Chicken" when it comes to computors. I have to ask the advice of these wise "Owls" on this forum for anything to do with them. Any way hope everythings just "Ducky" again and I will continue watching like a "Hawk" with my "Eagle" eye for "Turkeys" not "Ducks". On a serious note I have had the oportunitiy to ride with many first timers over the years and they all did great. Im sure you will too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts