Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have recently purchased a 92 ski doo 470 mx formula with 330 miles on it and a 98 polaris xcr 600 triple indy with 3500 miles on it. Ive managed to get the ski doo running well but ive run into a road block with the polaris. Tested compression on the polaris and only the middle cylinder has compression. Ive come to the conclusion that it needs a top end rebuild but getting cylinders is difficult. I can get pistons and everything else fairly easily. I havent torn the top end apart yet to see hoe bad the damage is but i saw through the exhaust holes the the pistons are pretty scored. So im assuming the cylinder walls arent the best. Im also a machinist so im wondering what you guys think would be the best route, sell it for parts, bore out the cylinders myself, or buy everything when I have the opportunity to do so. Any help or guidance would be appreciated, Thanks!

· Registered
366 Posts
i would suggest taking it apart first,, should be nickasil cylinders ,, if not severally damaged , acid can sometimes clean off the aluminum off,, you also if needed could send it out to be replated,, might consider splitting cases to check bearings and seals,, remember if you don't find out why it nuked it will happed again,, things to look at ,, study the piton failure,, it will tell you what did it ,, good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts