Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 indy sp 600 polaris, it has a lot of things needing attention, I am going to change chain case oil, Is it 90 weight gear lube in it?, synthetic reccomended?, what injector oil is reccomended?? Thanks----Rod

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
as far as injector oil, you should use 50-1. Not sure about chaincase oil though.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Don't use 90 weight in your chaincase. It gets too think in the cold. I use ATF or you can use chaincase oil from your dealer or amsoil. ATF is cheaper and does the same thing. Since your motor isn't a VES motor (02 and newer), you can use pretty much any 2 stoke oil. A lot of people use wal-mart brand with good results.

Welcome to the site. It's a great place to learn about sleds.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Chaincase specific lube is usually recommended for your chaincase. I, myself, run Amsoil synthetic chaincase lube. If I were in a pinch, I would use ATF as already mentioned. ATF is used in tranfer cases which utilize a chain and gear scenario like your chaincase. In actuality, any lube will be better than no lube, but I prefer to stick with what I know fits my application.

Run what injector oil you please. Some people prefer to pay the price for high-end name brand oil (Amsoil, Klotz, etc.) whereas others pay $10 a gallon for the wal-mart oil. It's all a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would use Amsoil chain case oil, because its not like you have to always buy it. Spend a little more once and your all set.

As for injector oil, I would use Citgo Sea and Snow, its two to three dollars more a gallon than Wal-Mart oil. But its a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
VES started in 98, on the 440 by the way. I would use chaincase oil. Polaris has some stuff thats like ten bucks a quart. I know a guy that actually ran amsoil synthetic oil in his chaincase, and he said his sled was faster because its thinner. I probably wouldnt do that but thats what the guy said. The thing i noticed with cheaper oil was it was thicker. Thicker oil can mean less getting to the engine. If i ran polaris oil, i would go through 2-3 times as much as when i ran arctic blue from fleet farm. We now stock up on polaris oil through the summer and dont worry about it in the winter. Like said, its all preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts