Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at buying a sled and have no idea what to look for?
any suggestions on what sleds to stay away from? im leaning toward the skidoo's because i can get a somewhat all around sled in the REV MXZ but im willing to take any suggestions [:D]. also i will have around a $3000 - $4000 budget so im going used.
i live in colorado so i will be riding in the mountains/powder but on the trails alot too since im a begginer.
i need some sledder advice guys !!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course it will be just our opinions but you just need to look around, sit on them, ride them if you can. Find what feels good to you. There will be alot of people who will tell you a specific brand to buy but it really comes down to personal preferance. I've personally rode alot of models and they all have their ups and downs. If riding alot in deep snow you may want something with a longer track with deep lugs, that will help you get around better. Just way out all of your options and find what makes you comfortable. You will be able to find alot of sled for the price you have to spend. Good luck, you will have a great time.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
2003-2004 rev or revx 600

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
All the major brands offer great products. I would be looking for something that is a good buy, then availability of dealer support, then look at what your friends are riding; having knowledgable friends that can assist you with the right tools can save you a LOT of money over time.

If you can ride a REV before you buy one, do it... some people don't like the seating position, and if you are tall, your knees will hit the cowling a lot...

Like Tailgate suggested, a longer track will keep you from getting stuck quite as often. A "crossover" sled like the Polaris Switchback with a 144" x 1 1/2" track may fit your bill nicely; it's easy on the trails, but still has enough track to move in the powder.

Good luck in your quest and welcome to SF!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Forget the rev and get an RMK.from what i hear they are very nice and you can find them cheap.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I looked on a website for TNT Motorsports in Larimie,Wyoming
came up with these sleds

Yamaha Mountain Max 700
1700 miles $3295

03 Artic Cat Mountain Cat 600
2500 miles $3800

03 Polaris 700 144"track
1400 miles $4385

Don't know the track lengths on the yamaha or artic cat
look them up or call them.Really good dealer and great service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rode alot of different sleds, and like them all for one reason or another. In your situation, being that you going to be able to venture off the trail and get into some good powder, I would go long track. 600cc liquid will suit you fine in most situations, but feel free to go bigger if your pocketbook, weekend expenses (i.e. gas, belts, service parts) and need for speed require.

Brand isn't as important as dealer service. I would be looking for something that I know that I can get good service at a local dealer and parts are plentiful. Race sleds, and souped up super sleds are generally more maintance week after week, and if your not into wrenching then something stock would be your best choice. Whatever you buy, research it and find its best and worse traits. Get a service manual, and read up on it. There are so many little things that you can do to help it last a very long time.

Above all have fun.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
like BC said i would go with a switchback, awesome sled very comfortable and awesome looking sled. very good suspension and nice colours too. i have sat on the switchback and boy very comfortable and the rmk is Nice also.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Ski-Doo is fine, but don't get the MXZ for what you are describing.

You live in CO and will be riding mountains and on the trails.
A mountain sled is OK on the trails, but the trail sleds aren't so OK in the mountains.
MXZ is a trail sled. It's got a wider front end, lower bars that are far less condusive to standing, and not enough track.
You would be making it harder on your self that way.

If I were starting out again now with the intention of both on and off trail on a Ski-Doo,
I'd look at the 600cc Summit.
It's a mountain sled with enough power to get you around both on and off trail and it will handle pretty well in both locations as well.
Other wise in your price range, I'd go RMK 600 (I'm a Polaris rider),
or a Mountain Max from Yamaha.

Since you are just starting out, avoid the pipes as there is a definate maintenence difference there.
They are just far more tempermental to elevation change and temp than those with single pipes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts