Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, and my only sledding experience was when i was very young riding around in the back yard. However, I have always had a passion for anything with a motor. This being said, I started to get more involved in sledding mainly because it has always been around me but I've never tried myself. Being from the midwest sledding is seasonal and something that I think would help me enjoy winter much, much more. Instead of going to some dealership and getting the run around I figured I would come here for advice and support. As of now, a buddy of mine is looking to sell his 05 Ski-doo 600cc H.O. and he is willing to be flexible on the price. So before I commit I want to be prepared as to anything that may need to be replaced down the road.

I know the season is upon us, but what is the best way to prepare your sled? As of now I just have planned to go ridding in some farm/country areas so nothing too serious. So what would be the best way to prepare/ maintain the sled? I did regular maintenance on my car before and after the track days so would that apply to sledding as well? What do you guys do to take care of your sleds? I am a firm believer in proper maintenance as I ran full synthetic oil in my car and changed in regularly. I just hit 100k in my car and still (knock on wood) havnt had a mechanical issue with it. This is the kind of mind set I want to take going to being a snowmobile owner, kind of "you get out of it what you put into it". So as i said above, are there any particular repairs, parts or brands that I should look out for/ stay away from?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to hear your getting into snowmobiling! Regular maintenance on your snowmobile is relatively easy. Just like your car you should always check your oil. A good rule would be to just check your oil before you start your snowmobile at anytime. Carb cleaning should be done once ever 1-2 years. Also when you put your snowmobile away for the summer either siphon the gas and run the snowmobile until it stalls or just put fuel stabilizer in it. This will help keeping bad gas out of your carburetors and keeping them from gumming up. One last thing I like to do, but isn't a must, is wiping down the engine and other areas of the engine compartment. Oil build up and debri build up can cause problems of not maintained. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
409 Posts
ski doo is fine- I prefer Polaris. wen buying used stay away from any that have to had engine repairs. get one with good suspension and track as that is a high cost part. use craigslist to see what they go for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts