Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Been nosing around here a few days now and thought I should get around to posting a few pics of the sled. I've played around with the picture size in the test forum, hope they aren't to big for the dial-up folks.
I rebuilt all four shocks and put new SLP SLT skiis on this fall. Hoping to get a few more years of her and then maybe a ZL600.
Enjoy!

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020016.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020013.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020022.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020020.jpg

Oh yea, and one of the family...lets just say we aren't the most photogenic bunch...

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/4th July 04-07-020005.jpg

-dan

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
all are very good pics. but i dont know about the polaris to cat are you sure you want to do that [B)] the way that sled looks it will go for a long long time.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Nice sled, keep that for a while. In my experience the ZL 600 are pigs on gas, they suck it like there is a hole on the tank.

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
Man, that is one clean machine. Looks great, and looks well maintained, It should go for a long time!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
the way that thing looks now, it should go forever.....nice sled

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the nice replys.

The machine has 1,800 miles on it. Back in 'the day', I would easly put that much on in a year. However, due to poor snow conditions 4 of the past 5 years, an young-un at home, and working in a CPA firm were I have to work saturdays during tax season, I haven't gotten out as much as I would like. I'm hoping to get out of the public accounting thing in the next year or two and that will give me plenty of snowmobiling opportunities again.

I don't really have my heart set on the ZL600, but I've ridden friends ZL & ZR's and love the way they handle. I've owned polaris for the last 15 years (88 and 90 indy400, 96 indy500, and now the 97xltsp (new in 98)) and thought a change might be nice. Actually, after owning my first triple, I found I really like it, however, choices in the triple market are few and getting fewer.

I'm just getting the itch for something new. The XLT has been a pretty good sled thou, so I pretty sure if I wanted to I could get good milage out of it. I had to put new needles in about three years ago (standard procedure for these sleds), the next year I cleaned the carbs, rebuilt shocks, new slides and belt this year, so the machine is mechanically sound as far I as know.

Anyways, I'm rambling, and crabby cause I raked leaves today, not a trace of snow here northern MN...sigh

-dan

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dan, you have to ride a newer Polaris on the 'Edge' chassis. If you like the way the ZL and ZR's handled you will love the 'Edge' sleds. They handle just as good but ride even better on the trails. The motors are some of the strongest made in each class and they definitely get better fuel mileage than the cats. Nice XLT you have. Super clean, the way it should be. Remember to buy the 'only' true American engineered, motored and built snowmobile. POLARIS.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Very nice sled Dan, I've got the exact same one. I've had real good luck with mine as well. Hope you get some snow soon!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
wow you live in MN? i just read moose lake implement on your seld.. you bought it new in 98? if you ever decide to sell let me know i got a few people lookn for a nice sled and the way you take care of yours it will be an easy sale i think.

i actually just got my sled from duluth lawn and sport.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
in minnesota (land of 15,000 lakes) there is a lake with every imaginable name. Probably a couple of them.

-Dean

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a few remarks to some replys that have been made:

The sled is normally not so clean. It's just a product of yet another lousy winter. I mean I have so much down time, I don't know if any of you noticed, but I polished the slides to a nice chrome finish. Thats a few evenings I should of been out riding!

Yea, I live in Duluth, MN, about 45minutes north of Moose Lake, where I bought the sled back in mid-winter 1998. Anybody see the movie Fargo? At the end of the movie, when the guy was shoving the dude in the wood-chipper, that was on Moose Lake, MN. I also live about 1 mile from Duluth Lawn & Sport. A friend of mine just starting working at the parts counter there, no deals yet. But, I have him on the look-out for a new noncurrent or good used KDX200.

Ya all have a nice new year now! My mother is watching the kid so I'll be the one wearing the lampshade at the end of the night.

-d

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I polished the slides to a nice chrome finish.
wow...I though I was the only nut who's done that....same situation, no snow=too much time=stupid ideas=mirror like suspension rails. It started out as taking the suspension apart to re-grease everything...ooops. But they do look really cool, I'll post a pic of mine when it's back together.

Oh yeah what did you use to polish yours? I used those 3M mini abrasive disc's smothered in Mother Aluminum polish on a hand-drill to get rid of the rough finish then hand rubbed it to a mirror finish. And finally 3 coats of a automotive rim clear coat. That only took two days...[:(]

That is one spotless machine...you said you'd be here about 4 on Saturday afternoon to clean mine, right [:D]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by pigboy
[br]
Ya all have a nice new year now! My mother is watching the kid so I'll be the one wearing the lampshade at the end of the night.

-d
LOL! Same to you. I believe I'll be sporting an empty 12 pak box on my head at the stroke of midnight. [:D]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote
Oh yeah what did you use to polish yours? I used those 3M mini abrasive disc's smothered in Mother Aluminum polish on a hand-drill to get rid of the rough finish then hand rubbed it to a mirror finish. And finally 3 coats of a automotive rim clear coat.
[/quote]

Well it sounds like you did yours the right way. I had the skid out for shock servicing, so while they were being rebuilt I touched up any rust and then polished the rails. All the shaft/bogie bearings seemed good to go, so I didn't have to pull anything but the shocks. Otherwise I would of removed all the shafts and bolts and used my casewell buffing wheels with a hand drill.

In this case I just used blue magic polish (about three scrubbings) and then a coat of turtle chrome wax. So it looks shiney but still has the rough grooves from when is it was milled.

I didn't use any clearcoat so I'll have to give it a good polishing every spring to keep them shiney. I haven't found any clearcoat that stays on good without yellowing over time. What brand clearcoat did you use, and have you had good luck with it in the past?

For anyone else that might be interested, here is the link to casewell. You can buy a kit (about $25) that has the buffing wheels for a hand drill and compounds to use as you progresse through the polishing steps. I've used the casewell stuff on my bike (see my profile) with good results (the bike was pretty roached when I got it).

http://www.caswellplating.com/frames.php?bottom=/alpolkit.htm

PS Snoxtreme, if ya lived closer I'd be more then happy to come down and wrench/clean. Just feed me and keep me full of beer.

PSS Any new noncurrent xr250's or nice used ones down there. Do you guys sell Kawaski?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts