Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k so i bought a 99 600 xc sp im new to sleding i have a quad already.
i have a couple of questions about my sled like...

> i have a exhaust leak on my u pipe caused by the can by pounding at the top its a big hole like 1 inch long and 4 to 5 cm wide... its robbing power???

> and when i turn my clutch it seem to only compress one time its a twin so isn't it suppose to do it twice?

> do i change the motor oil or does the two stroke oil reservoir feed oil to the motor?

· Registered
708 Posts
imcrazed said:

> i have a exhaust leak on my u pipe caused by the can by pounding at the top its a big hole like 1 inch long and 4 to 5 cm wide... its robbing power???

> and when i turn my clutch it seem to only compress one time its a twin so isn't it suppose to do it twice?

> do i change the motor oil or does the two stroke oil reservoir feed oil to the motor?
Dont worry boss, we'll get you on the right track. No motor oil in these 2-strokes. The oil jug you see under the hood gets mixed with the gas in the fuel pump and gets pumped into the carbs to be burnt. Also, there is an oil line that goes to the engine to supply oil to the crank bearings. Dont worry, no oil changes here, just make sure you never run that oil jug out of oil. Dont know what kind of oil is already in the sled, you might want to ask the previous owner and stick with that brand/type (theres a lot to choose from). As far as the exhaust leak goes, it probably wont hurt the power too bad but if its in a simple area you should be able to get a patch for 10-20 bucks from a local fab shop (maybe a muffler shop). If you have a compression checker I would check both cylinders and make sure the lower side is within 10% of the higher cylinder (you should have around 120psi in both). Stroke is 180 degrees apart between the two cylinders...I dont know what you mean when you say "when i turn my clutch it seem to only compress one time its a twin so isn't it suppose to do it twice"... Might have a blown cyclinder? Any more just ask!

· Registered
9,987 Posts
imcrazed said:

Yes, this is a serious issue. It can cause motor failure from lack of backpressure making it too lean.

Yes, you should feel 2 compression strokes per revolution of the crank. Get a compression tester, and check the compression.

You should even feel compression if you remove the plugs and rotate the crank.

The oil tank you top off with 2-stroke oil before every ride. It gets injected into the engine, instead of having a wet-sump like a 4-stroke engine.

Don't ever let that tank get empty, you'll fry your motor.

· Registered
156 Posts
You will want to replace your carb boots before you ride it. It will cause the motor to burn down very quickly. If you have low compression already i would say you found the reason. Between the carb boots and the hole in the exhaust I would go thru the motor with a fine tooth comb. Who knows what could be hiding in there that needs attention. Good luck and happy sledding!
Brian

· Registered
2,738 Posts
Did you bother hearing the sled run before buying it? or test riding it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.