Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new track off Ebay for my '96 Indy Ultra SKS. It's a 2" Camolpast that's 136"

My question is that I know I'm going to need some new stuff to get this track to work right but what??? Everything is currently stock including the 133" track.

So what is needed here???

I'm thinking new drive sprockets.... I'd like to get the ones that are like a true sprocket (go look at www.trackpunch.com) so you can run the track looser with no ratcheting. Do I get the same size as what is stock or what?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
your stock is a 133"? and your putting on a 136"? all you need is a set of rail extensions, and your good to go. What you are refering to are Extrovert DRIVE sprokets, www.wahlracing.com made the orginal, and best ones. They are real helpful, give them a call.

-Dean

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did the same thing to my '97 Indy 500 SKS.
Mine was 133.5" as well, I had to get rail extensions from Polaris to accomodate the 136" track, they were $98.00 & were simple to put on. I had to drop driver sizes to give the paddles enough clearance in the tunnel.
That's all I had to do, it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad to hear that... I've got to shop around and see who's got the best price for the rail extensions... Anyone seen them online for cheap?

How much clearance should there be between the top of the paddle and the tunnel at the closest point (where I figure is probably at the front where it comes around the drive)???

Another question on if there is a need to change the size of the drive sprockets to smaller ones, how is that going to change the tracks RPM's? I figure it's going to be higher but is it a big differance in that the secondary is going to need a different spring? (i've got a red one in there now)?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had to drop from 9-lug drivers to 8-lug drivers because the 1.75" paddles would hit the front heat exchanger as they came around the axle. I wasn't sure if dropping a size was necessary, and I didn't want to lose any top end if I could avoid it so we put the new track in there with the old drivers just to see, and sure enough, there wasn't nearly enough room. So on my '97 500 SKS, it was mandatory, and I think your tunnel and mine would be identical. Someone told me that my stock setup would handle up to 1.25" with no modifications, but anything more than that and you had to downsize the sprockets.
By dropping a size on your drive sprockets, you're gearing it down... I'm not sure by how much, because I'm having unrelated problems with mine & haven't really been able to hit the lakes to pin it, but it is certainly noticeable.
I'm not sure about the clutching...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya know I've just had a thought...After looking all over for Rail extensions for my sled I've come up with nothing. Holz Racing no longer makes the model I need (which is unfortunate since they look to be of the highest quality craftsmanship), and I can't seem to find it either at Tracks USA or HiPerf.com

So... what I'm getting at is that Do I even need the rail extensions if I use the Extrovert Drive sprockets?? Or in other words.... with 3 extra inches in track length along with the 1-2 more inches of slack that I can run with the Extroverts.... Will I be able to eat up that other ince with the track tensioning bolts??? Ya think this will work??

·
Registered
172 Posts
When we first started that project on mine, that was discussed... we weren't sure if the rail extensions were necessary or not. I don't remember the exact reason why I went ahead and bought the extensions, but I felt it was prudent. Maybe there was no way to make it work without them, I don't remember.

But I did buy the rail extensions from the Polaris shop for $98 & they bolted right on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just checked mine, there's about 9/16" clearance between the end of the paddle and the closest point of the forward heat exchanger. My track is still unblemished, so I know that it's not touching with that small amount of clearance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Glad I could help, bud. If you need a picture of how they go on to the rails, let me know & I'll take a pic with my digital cam and send to you. The directions that came with mine were more confusing than helpful.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still having a hell of a time finding the extensions for my sled that go from 133 to 136... If anyone can find them online let me know where!!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
hey anyone got any tracks 133-136 they dont want that are in good shape? im poking around with the idea of makn my edge 121 a little longer becuase most of my riding is in the UP and we might be goin out west next season.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
High Sierra,
You might try moving the skid back an 1" to 1.5" this will improve your track angle and eliminate the need for extensions.

Just a thought. You will need to redrill holes and possibly add some backer material where you attach the skid but I have seen it done to a number of cats. Cheaper than a rolled chaincase with most if not all of the benefits.

My $.02

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i finally found thos eextensions a while ago... i've had the new track on for the past couple of weeks..... No rubbing and it reallly made the sled a different ride.....There was no way to do it without the extensions going from 133 to 136. I thinkI could have still gone for those 8" rear idlers but going that route is more money.

I'd go with the 136" track jsut because you're going to have more luck finding 136" tracks than 133" ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I made my own extensions on my XC to go from 121 to 136 and cut a 2" track that I got cheap down to 1 1/4" so it would clear without changing drivers and studded it. Still had to drill new holes for the front of the suspension and made some drop brackets for the rear. Works great[8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts