Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some feedback on this trailing arm issue before I do something wrong. I went to put my grease fitting on my new trailing arm (04 Pro-XR 440 chassis) & it's not threaded. Seems pretty damn lazy of Polaris not to handle something small like that so I thought I'd make sure there isn't something I'm missing. Thank you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Just wanted to get some feedback on this trailing arm issue before I do something wrong. I went to put my grease fitting on my new trailing arm (04 Pro-XR 440 chassis) & it's not threaded. Seems pretty damn lazy of Polaris not to handle something small like that so I thought I'd make sure there isn't something I'm missing. Thank you.
some grease holes are press in,i usually thread them and use a threaded fitting,as press in fittings usually pull out when removing grease gun...royal pain!..cheers

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
slothman1 said:
some grease holes are press in,i usually thread them and use a threaded fitting,as press in fittings usually pull out when removing grease gun...royal pain!..cheers
Same here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slothman1 said:
MXZ700SKS700 said:
This is my first trailing arm replacement so I just assumed it would match up regardless if it was thread or press. Would threading it do damage? Meaning if the trailing arm was made for a press fitting, would treading it make the hole too big for either? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
grease fittings are self threading, I'm an auto tech, every ball joint or tie rod I install, the holes are not threaded.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
polarisorbust said:
grease fittings are self threading, I'm an auto tech, every ball joint or tie rod I install, the holes are not threaded.
Well then I'll thread it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Like polarisorbust said, some are self-threading. But you have to watch out what kind of fitting you get. The self-threading ones are tapered thread, while the other ones are a straight thread.

·
Registered
841 Posts
make sure when you thread in the fitting, that it doesn't stick too far into the tube. Otherwise the spindle will may hit it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hangman said:
Like polarisorbust said, some are self-threading. But you have to watch out what kind of fitting you get. The self-threading ones are tapered thread, while the other ones are a straight thread.
yeah tapered thread, forgot that, good call

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a self tapper. Thank you all for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts