Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I currently own a '97 Jimmy SLT 4x4 I bought it w/ 90,000Km and paid 16,900CND almost 2 years ago.. and it's been a headache ever since.. I'm planning on getting a new truck (well new to me).. But do I buy brand new or Used..?? I'm still left w/ the bad taste in my mouth from buying used because of the Jimmy..

I'm just not sure If I want to go back into debt..

So my question is.. Should I just sell the Jimmy and replace it w/ something of similar value..? or bite the bullet and buy brand new..?

Just so you know my situation.. I'm 22 and live w/ my parents, I'm currently saving for a house.. So if I buy new I will have to put those plans on hold..

all opinions welcome..

Regards,
650indy

·
Registered
118 Posts
My personal opinion would be to try to find a low mileage vehicle and get a extended warranty(used)Buying new costs so much more and you can get a good used one for much lower in price. I recommend finding a used vehicle and checking the vehicle history report, if the dealer has nothing to hide they`ll run ya one right then and their. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I agree with chipper..If you could find a used one that you either know the previous owner of it,or know the history behind it..Good luck to ya..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Only 90,000km how many miles sorry (Km) does it have know thats only like 60,000 miles and that truck should be good for 140,000Km plus. Save for the house if you can realestate is a far better investment than a truck. If you are going to replace it anyway look for a 1-2 year old low Km/mileage truck and don't be affraid to offer them a rediculously low amount as a starting point in the negotiations. Stick to your guns be prepared to walk away if they won't give you a great deal on the truck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would buy a good used one like the guys said. No reason to pay the full sticker when they're just as good with 20 or 30,000 miles on them. There are lots around here because it's a GM town, buy I don't know about your area. But I would go full sized they are tougher and you get just as good of mileage as the smaller trucks.

Here is a link for new and used cars.

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/lansing/?szc=48910&srv=adlocator&act=populate&ft=1&tf=quick_usedforsale-default.tmpl&page=used&rn=7&zc=48910&rd=30

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i agree, i wouldn't pay full sticker for new, besides if you buy a truck still under warranty from a dealer you can buy extended warranties to keep ya covered if anything should fail, also dealers do sell certified pre-owned vehicles that must meet a ton of qualifications to be certified. you can feel fairly confident in these vehicles. otherwise there is the private party option, which can be a little cheaper than a dealer but i think you incur a little more risk......[:)]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's my personal experience... My business transports dangerous goods (explosive/radioactive) goods all over Western Canada for Oilfield service companies. I buy everything brand new,... but maintain the hell out of them... My 96 GMC Z-71 has 408,000 Km's on it (255,000 miles) and still drives, runs, and looks new. Only thing I have done is 4x new fuel pumps, 1x rear diff... I constantly carry HEAVY cargo thru some of the worst 1-lane muddy crap roads you can imagine. I spent $34,000 on the truck new in 96, prolly not worth much more than $6000 now... but i love it. MAINTENANCE has been the key for me. fresh Penzoil 5w30 every 5000 Kms, (even tho it's mostly highway), and a tranny flush every 50,000 kms. I also own a couple of newer Dodge Diesels... both have more than 350,000 kms on them. For me it wan't worth spending onother $600 - $900 per month per truck to keep re-newing leases, so i bought them out. I swear by penzoil. Both Dodges also needed rear Diffs, (heavy loads).... but since rebuilding haven't caused any probs. NOW instead of sending $$$$ to GMAC or Chrysler Credit,... i stick it in my pocket....
Guess the point I'm trying to make is buy new,.... and maintain the hell out of it...... I'll post pics of my odometers if you dont believe.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input thus far..

I'm still thinking new might be the way to go, I know you lose about money as soon as you leave the lot, put it's piece of mind.. I bought the Jimmy from a dealership, it was a 1 owner vehicle, w/ low miles, I thought how could I go wrong.. Well, needless to say things went wrong, I've since replaced the heads, transmission, and tons of other stuff but I suppose I can chalk the other stuff up to "wearable items"..

And, as if I wasn't having bad enough luck with the vehicle already.. I got in an accident (rollover)

http://members.rogers.com/maz-dawg/Truck1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/maz-dawg/truck2.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/maz-dawg/truck3.jpg

Worst part is they are fixing it (60 days and counting). So keeping it is out of the question.. They cut the roof off and welded a new one in.. the truck will never be the same..

I've been thinking about this about what to do since the accident.. and I still can't decide what's the best way to go..

W/ new you borrow at 0% and keep your cash in a high interest account.. and at the end of it your money will have earned you an extra payment or two..

If I upgrade to used again.. I'll have to pay cash.. I don't want to borrow at 7.9% or whatever the bank rate is..

So, I'm still undecided.. but the more opinions the better.. I want to weigh out all the pro's and con's before I make a decision..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry, I think this is a no brainer. Save as much for the house as possible, buy a house as early in life as possible, I wish I had done it 4 years earlier. I never owned a newer vehicle until I first owned a house. I was quite fortunate that I had some good older vehicles that required little maintenance. Get a vehicle that fits your needs, and I don't think a $35,000 brand new pickup (example only) is a need when saving for a home. You will always be able to get a new vehicle later in life, you will always IMO kick yourself for not buying a house sooner.
JMO
j-2-800

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I would go new, 3000 cash back helps, plus I could do the best I could to save or help in anyway.
651-674-7017
ask for jon stevens!!!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I bought my house when I was 25 for $49,900 american. My trucks have always been at least 10 years old. I just recently bought a 1997 jeep cherokee sport and it is my first vehicle ever that is newer then ten years old (even then it's still 6years old), I'm 34 now.

I just sold that house last week for $102,000. I put in about $12,000 to $15,000 in materials and LOTS of my free labor.

Moral of the story. Real estate is the best investment. Find a good used truck and save for that house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts