Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Justin, I am 26 yrs old and from Muskegon,MI. I just picked up my first sled a 1989 Yamaha Ovation 340 Deluxe. I picked it up for $250 and its in great condition. I am currently doing some restoration on it to make it even more dependable for the upcoming season. I am new to sleds so I am looking for as much info and etc as possible on improving my sled.

Thanks and I hope I can make some friends and becoem welcome here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the site

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
[thumb]Good for you man!!!

Welcome to the club. You could not have picked a better group of people than right here.
Your attacking this the right way. You have an older machine that your not afraid to do a little bit of wrenching on.
That's the best way to start your journey. You will learn a lot this way, and everyone on here will be glad to help out.
You don't have to feel funny about asking questions. Most of us were at the same point as you at one time.

That is a great little machine to start out on. Very dependable.
Up-date us with your progress and post some picks of your sled soon.

There are most likely some snowmobile clubs in your area! (Another great source of info.) Clubs are a great way to meet other riders near you and they help get you more involved in the sport.

I found this club. It's just a little bit North East of Muskegon...
http://www.twistingtrails.org/becomemember.htm

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TRICKPaint said:

Welcome to the club. You could not have picked a better group of people than right here.
Your attacking this the right way. You have an older machine that your not afraid to do a little bit of wrenching on.
That's the best way to start your journey. You will learn a lot this way, and everyone on here will be glad to help out.
You don't have to feel funny about asking questions. Most of us were at the same point as you at one time.

There are most likely some snowmobile clubs in your area! (Another great source of info.) Clubs are a great way to meet other riders near you and they help get you more involved in the sport.

x2

Welcome to the site!

There isn't a lot of imporiving to do, unless there is something that is obviously not right that should be fixed, about all you can do is buy lots of unnecesary add ons like the rest of us. Nothing wrong with that sled, not sure how big you are, but that 340 may be short on power, my guess is you will be upgrading to a 440 in the near future, so i would throw a ton of extra money away into this one.

I remember when we got our first sled, my dad brought home a 440 Arctic Cat, and by the end of that season we upgraded to a 580, and my thumb still wasn't happy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome!!

Remember to support your local clubs, as they are our best advocate for keeping our trail system and money in our sport. You will find that Michigan has some of the best trail systems in the country. My absolute favorite is packing a back pack hopping on the sled and traveling to places I've never seen... All you need is a map, gas and and a little hotel money. That little beauty will take you anywhere you want to go. You definitley have the right attitude!!

dodgetruck2 said:
TRICKPaint said:

x2

Welcome to the site!

There isn't a lot of imporiving to do, unless there is something that is obviously not right that should be fixed, about all you can do is buy lots of unnecesary add ons like the rest of us. Nothing wrong with that sled, not sure how big you are, but that 340 may be short on power, my guess is you will be upgrading to a 440 in the near future, so i would throw a ton of extra money away into this one.

I remember when we got our first sled, my dad brought home a 440 Arctic Cat, and by the end of that season we upgraded to a 580, and my thumb still wasn't happy.
My first was a 440, and it didn't take long for me to want more as well. That ovation is perfect to start out on. THis is great advice not to pour too much money into this sled, as you will want a little more once you get comfortable and ADDICTED[confused]. Good Luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
x3 welcome buddy , there is alot of helpful info to be obtained on this site every one on here all has the same love for the sport, the machine you pick up is a great litle sled the only thing with those older yamahas are the tracks if its a 31 clip which i think is only on that sled and the enticer 300 is very hard to find you cant even find a new one for it , so make sure your hifax are new for the season and maker sure all of your clips and guide clips are on the track and that souldd be all you have to worrie about.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Like said before there really aren't too many performance upgrades that you can do to that sled, and chances are you will upgrade for the next season, but nonetheless that is a great sled to get started on.

Some of the things you may want to do to improve you sled's reliability, is to clean the clutches, inspect the drive belt, clean the carbs, and replace the chain case fluid, which is one of the more important maintenance things you can do.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My first sled was a '85 Enticer 340. Love love love those little Yamaha's! Welcome to the site and the sport. This site has helped me learn a wealth of information on this sport, and has helped me save a ton of money while I was at it. These guys here are great, and once again, welcome!

·
Registered
278 Posts
welcome to the site! glad to have another lover of the sport. everyone on here will be glad to answer any questions you have. Good starter sled. like stated before it might be a little underpowered for you but its a good introduction to the fun and excitment of snowmobiling!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome, glad to see another local on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts