Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a 88 wildcat 650 and it it smokes pretty bad but almost goes away after a 10 - 15 min warm up. However when you give it gas it billows out constantley. The smoke color is white and it smels of gas pretty bad. I checked compression and one cylider is 110 and the other is 120... Looking through the spark plug holes they seem dry and no coolant. The motor has lots of power and sounds healthy ( it now has a 700 in it ). The person I got it from put pre mix gas in by axident and used normal 2 stroke oil in it for lawnmowers etc. the gas has sat since last season in it... And to my knowlege not had anything done before storage. Where should I start? As I said it runs fine and I am happy with it, But I cant stand all the smoke... What can I do to get the amount of exhaust smoke down??. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Whats the temps like in your area, mine smokes pretty badly in 50* weather, but its just because of the premix and temps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
First get that gas out of there and put fresh back in. Add some seafoam to the new gas and see what happens. And 88400 is right, it will smoke more in warmer temps because its running more on the rich side untill colder temps arrive.

·
Registered
553 Posts
As far as your compression test, 10 lbs.difference, should be ok. I would'nt worry about that. Welcome to the forum. This is filled with the best group of guys on knowledge I have come across.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i agree with the others my new sleds smokes alot this time of yr if i start em after sitting all summer thats normal.fresh gas and u will be good to go [:D]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, I will get some new gas in and see what happens when it gets a little colder. I look forward to being here... The forum is great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drained the old gas today and put in fresh and it is better now but still quite alot when I hit the gas. This motor is oil injected ( I dont think I mentioned that before) Could the oil pump be out of ajustment ?. Also this combined with the pre mix gas that was put in by axident last season? (mabye it gummed it up or something). Oh By the way TXC what is Seafoam ??. The temp today was 25 degrees C (in October LOL), So I guess that could have alot to do with it aswell like was mentioned earlier. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
running it with premix and oil injection will also make alot of smoke so id say thats the problem. whe ni rebuilt my motor last year i added a little oil to it just for added lube, and you could easily see more smoke than before when i nailed it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
sea foam is a product that comes in a white metal can the size of a spay can. It is not a spray thou. It is used as a carb and fuel injector cleaner and can also be put in the oil on cars to clean the internal parts. Usually it calls for 1 oz. per gallon for cleaning carbs in 2 cycles. Also makes a great stabilizer by doubling the mixture to gas. I feel its the best stuff on the market and works wonders. But if the guy you bought this sled from did nothing to stabalize the old gas from last season, then I am sure your carbs have a grimey deposit left from the combination of the old gas and oil. The ONLY way to cure this is to tear down the carbs and clean. Sometimes people have to do this every season. Its all part of owning a toy with a motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought that i would bump this thread back up. It has been getting pretty cold here in the evenings and when I run the machine it still smokes pretty bad. I have drained and put new low smoke oil in and the fresh gas... Any ideas what might be causing this[?]. I have not cleaned the carbs yet but it is on the list... The only thing that i can think of is it is getting too much oil. When I run it in the garage for a few minutes I get a small oil puddel on the floor (from the exhaust) Is this normal?? I am new to the oil injection sleds. Can I ajust the oil pump mabye? I just dont want too little oil and the motor lock up on me[:(]

Thanks,

·
Registered
128 Posts
check your throttle cable that goes to your oil pump. if it is broken the pump will feed oil to the engine at its maximum rate.gluck[:D]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definitely check the adjustment on the oil pump, and use the specs that that match the motor, not the sled. If the pump is rich, it will never burn all the oil, and it will be pooling in the crankcase causing smoke that will last until it has eough air run through it to clean it away and burn it.
Also I wouldn't even think of running that motor past a fast idle to much until you clean, and re-adjust the carbs if the last owner left old gas in it, especially premix. Your carbs are probably a gross green mess in the bottom of the fuel bowls. Can anybody say "lean burndown"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts