Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are out riding in the middle of a forest somewhere and you break your drive belt...What does installing the replacemnet belt consist of doing and how long does it take? Tools? sorry if this question is dumb, like I said i'm a newbie

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Generally, NO tools needed. If the belt blows you'll spend more time cleaning shrapnel, than putting the new belt on. Putting the belt on takes 30 seconds once you know how to split open the secondary clutch. Slide the belt on the primary clutch(Front Clutch) Rotate the rear sheave of the secondary clutch (Rear Clutch) toward the back of the sled and push toward the engine. The clutch will open, slide the belt on and work it around the clutch. Let go of everything and your done. I'd recommend doing it a few times in your garage before your out in the cold trying to figure it out.

That being said, if you happen to have a TEAM Secondary clutch, use the tool that comes with it to split the secondary open.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You should be able to find that in your owners manual. If you don't have one you really should order one.

There should be no tools used. I can change my belt out in about 2 minutes.

It's hard to discribe how to do it. It's easier to actually see how it is done.

If you have a belt on now. Just go outside to your sled and grab it near the top next to the clutch and pull up hard on the belt. The belt should pry it's self up between the clutch when you lift. That will give you extra slack to pull the belt off and around the clutch. Then take it off the other clutch on the opposite side.

You should have you belt in your hand. Then just do it in reverse order.

You can always go to your sled shop and tell them you don't know. I'm sure they will show you. Everyone has to learn sooner or later.

·
Registered
615 Posts
depends on the type of sled too if you dont need tools.
with my skidoo renegade they have a tool you can put into the 2ndary to spread the sheaves
and then just back the tool out and it closes them
my a-cat 900 i just used the "bicycle effect" just rolled the belt right on.

check the manual of the sled and it will tell ya.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
darkstar the way u explain it it soudns like my sled is gonna blow up. What happens exactly when u blow a belt. CAn u sense it early enough. What if ur going fast. Do they break abruptly or can u sense that the belt has had to many years on it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]darkstar the way u explain it it soudns like my sled is gonna blow up. What happens exactly when u blow a belt. CAn u sense it early enough. What if ur going fast. Do they break abruptly or can u sense that the belt has had to many years on it.
There is NO sensing the belt is going to blow. However you can notice it (visually). There will be strands of Kevlar streaming from the belt. My Dad had 100 miles on an Ultimax 3 belt last winter and EXPLODED the belt heading across a lake...

In this photo you can see the shrapnel that Darkstar is talking about. Also if you blow the belt bad enough you will take out the speedometer cable...

[attachment=48248]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If you actually "Blow" a belt you will end up with cords and rubber from the belt in all sorts of places, Lots of fun to clean up. In my opinion a belt should be replaced yearly at a minimum.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Have a leatherman on you or sharp knife, I blew a belt going about 85 once and all the cords got wrapped around the crank between the clutch and the crankcase, tighter then a virgin, so I had to do some sawing of cords, prolly took me 20 mins for that mess in the middle of Lake Bemidji.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
a knife is a good idea to have and sum needle nose pliers ive seen belts go and have bits of string wrap around the clutch between the clutch and the motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody very much. I'll probably order an owners manual. I think polaris gives you them for free. I'll have to check though... some belts only last one year....that must be if you really stress them a lot...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]If you actually "Blow" a belt you will end up with cords and rubber from the belt in all sorts of places, Lots of fun to clean up. In my opinion a belt should be replaced yearly at a minimum.
thats always fun just finished cleaning out the last of the belt i blew last feb. drag racing some friends about 2 weeks ago. luckly i broke nothing when it snapped at 95mhp. get an owners manual for sure it will be a life saver. generally you shouldnt need any tools to do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.