Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Moved from Chicago here to Denver. Don't own my own sled but have done a few weeks doing the rental route in the UP on the trails. Since I've never done mountain stuff, I want to start out with some sort of tour/guided/rental thing just to learn the ropes and not do anything stupid.

Any suggestions for locations/tours/rental companies in Colorado (Wyoming?) that I should look into to get my feet wet (cold?)?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Lots of Good Tips in here:http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/108819/display.aspx

My tips after that trip:
1: Water, Water, Water. That elevation is nasty, but water helps fight off the sickness if thats a problem.
2: NEVER stop facing up hill
3: Get a HotDogger, nothing better than a hot meal when your far from a restruant
4: SnoBunjies work wonders.
5: Be avalanche aware, look for the stickey topic in MTN Riding forum.
6: Get a beacon. And a Avalanche probe plus a shovel.
7: Don't afraid to get stuck. Its half the fun.
8: Dress in layers and Outer layer must be waterproof.

Sure there's more, but someone will say them.

EDIT: We stayed in Centennial, WY just inside the Snowies. Great area to learn.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Lots of Good Tips in here:http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/108819/display.aspx

My tips after that trip:
1: [highlight=yellow]Water, Water, Water. That elevation is nasty, but water helps fight off the sickness if thats a problem.[/highlight=yellow]
2: NEVER stop facing up hill
3: Get a HotDogger, nothing better than a hot meal when your far from a restruant
4: SnoBunjies work wonders.
5: Be avalanche aware, look for the stickey topic in MTN Riding forum.
6: Get a beacon. And a Avalanche probe plus a shovel.
7: Don't afraid to get stuck. Its half the fun.
8: Dress in layers and Outer layer must be waterproof.

Sure there's more, but someone will say them.

EDIT: We stayed in Centennial, WY just inside the Snowies. Great area to learn.
And so does mega doses of vitamin c taken before reaching altitude. And a few advil never hurt either.

Don't worry to much though, you will get used to the altitude change fairly quickly. I'm a flatlander too and I lived in Colorado Springs when I was in the military. By Dec you will feel better than you do now and by spring you will barely notice anymore.

PS. Watch out for the booze. It seems to hit you faster up there.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
steve0617 said:
Hello all

Moved from Chicago here to Denver. Don't own my own sled but have done a few weeks doing the rental route in the UP on the trails. Since I've never done mountain stuff, I want to start out with some sort of tour/guided/rental thing just to learn the ropes and not do anything stupid.

Any suggestions for locations/tours/rental companies in Colorado (Wyoming?) that I should look into to get my feet wet (cold?)?

Thanks
Tours suck but it will get u started. Theres a few in the leadville/ and vail pass erea that arent too far out of denver. Just do some searches, Nova guides in camp hale(vail pass) probly be the funnest. Dont expect to be able to do any real mountain riding tho. All trail stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grand Lake/Granby is prolly your best bet for what you want to do. Lots of options there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
First time I rode in the mountains was in Alpine...loooved it! Now I'm living in SLC. Have fun, take some avy classes!!! Know before you go! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you get the bug be sure to talk to the local guys, I went with a friend yesterday and 8 of his sled buds and the experience was amazing! This is what I can say you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the mountains, start on a inexpensive sled that runs well and get GOOD gear "clothes, helmet, etc" the gear makes it not only safe but alot more enjoyable when you're not freezing all the time. Yesterday was my first ride ever and am only on a 99 indy sport, every sled out there was better and badder than mine but that didn't matter and no one cared they were all full of info and more than willing to help me out and play with their sleds too. So there is my input on the situation, We rode grand mesa Laroux Creek which was a nice mix of trails and crazy hill climbing and deeep powder a great mix to start out on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts