Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wondering if anyone knows if theres a aftermarket recoil for 01 ( i think thats the years) and up ski doo's? we had two recoils go out this last sled trip, both on 800 mxz's , one rev and one zx chassis or whatever there called, they were both the same cheap ass plastic recoil any solutions?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Rebuild it with all new parts, I have one that is 11 years old and only gave out once, must only happen to cat riders
So what is the recall??

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im talking on newer sleds, not 11 year old sleds, they're built out of plastic, including the case and internals, and i've seen 3 go out in two years

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Originally posted by TeamNFG
[br]Rebuild it with all new parts, I have one that is 11 years old and only gave out once, must only happen to cat riders
So what is the recall??
He is not talking about it happening to cats [;)]

I don't think anyone makes an aftermarket recoil. What parts have you seen go bad? Someone must have assembled it wrong.

pictures and info.. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50494

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ski-doo has had some issues with the recoils the newer sled recoils are suppose to be improved over the old ones that were in the ZX chassis. The biggest problem we have seen is due to heat build up in the engine compartment and the exhaust very close to the recoil doesn't help. The best results we have had is to put foil tape over the complete out side of the recoil to help keep the plastic from getting hot and weak, you can buy foil tape at any hardware in the heating section, it is used to seal the joints of air ducts in homes.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess that drilling holes in the casing of the recoil helps with the heat too, my buddys going to try that on his mxz, so he doesnt have to put another 165 bucks into a third recoil

·
Registered
711 Posts
Your best bet is to ditch the plastic one, get the metal one with the mounting ring, strap, and catch cup and switch it out. The plastic ones wear out to easily for me especially on my mod sled. Ive never had an issue with the metal ones yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not recommend drilling holes in the recoil casing, being plastic they already have durability issues and by drilling holes you will weaken it even more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not recommend drilling holes in the recoil casing, being plastic they already have durability issues and by drilling holes you will weaken it even more.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by SkiDoo55X
[br]Your best bet is to ditch the plastic one, get the metal one with the mounting ring, strap, and catch cup and switch it out. The plastic ones wear out to easily for me especially on my mod sled. Ive never had an issue with the metal ones yet.
were do you find the metal ones for a rev? if my buddy has any problems with this recoil, i'll have to let him know about the metal ones

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any of the large Diameter metal recoils will work from 96-00 will work. Thas why you need the recoil, with the mounting ring, strap, and catch cup to swap it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts