Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20101021152833185_31524.jpg

2010102115294732_31524.jpg
When the owner told me it was his wifes sled, my ears perked up a bit. This sled is in immaculate shape with 3500 miles. This is the second time I've been able to find sleds that guys had bought for their gals, kept them in perfect condition, and the significant other hardly rode it. When you can see your reflection in a tunnel that is eight years old, I know I've found someone that treats their sled just the way I do, like a baby. I am super excited to get on that edge suspension, as the 2000 sp was really starting hurt the butt bone. Not to mention my previous owners were so nice as to install a new ripsaw with studs down the middle, slp can, and reeds. Come on lake effect snow, I need you.
20101021152833185_31524.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have any feedback on the VES 700, as far as what wears, and potential problems. This is the first 700 I have ever owned, and I have seen my fair share with 800's

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
700's are known to have exhaust valve problems, and crank bearing problems (not the common, most 700's last 7000+ miles, although some do blow). the ways around this are SS valves, and a bigger PTO crank bearing, and some engine push arms.

With the edge chassis, the inner wheels (close to the centre shock) tend to get chewed up all the time, and the coolant bottle are shit (aluminum on plastic), try and take the cap off as little as possible, never if possible, it egges out the top, and coolant comes out after that..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well for my money the 700 is bullet proof!!! I've got that exact same sled in the garage(yes- Wifes sled) and it has 8245 miles on it and the only thing I've ever done inside the hood is re-build the clutch a couple of times!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
not sure about the yellow skis, but looks like a clean sled. What reeds are in it? I would pull them out and lock-tite the reed screws, I always get paranoid that they will rattle out and go through the motor.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
That is actually a 2001.5 not a 2002, it was a mid winter release because of the high demand for the exhaust valved 700. There aren't all that many of those around, Polaris only built about a hand full of them.

The biggest known issues with the 800 are possible in the 700, but not as common. The cranks usually last a long time, heavily modded sleds seemed to be the majority of the failing cranks and exhaust valves.

Very solid sleds, the most powerful of the 700 XCSP's were the 2001.5 and 2002 because they recieved the same style porting as the 220 jugs of the '98 700 XC, while all the rest of the 700 XCSP's had the same porting as the 824 jugs of the '98 700 XC.

The trouble with the 220 style ports are that the piston rings can catch the edge and blow the engine up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driftpounder said:
That is actually a 2001.5 not a 2002, it was a mid winter release because of the high demand for the exhaust valved 700. There aren't all that many of those around, Polaris only built about a hand full of them.

The biggest known issues with the 800 are possible in the 700, but not as common. The cranks usually last a long time, heavily modded sleds seemed to be the majority of the failing cranks and exhaust valves.

Very solid sleds, the most powerful of the 700 XCSP's were the 2001.5 and 2002 because they recieved the same style porting as the 220 jugs of the '98 700 XC, while all the rest of the 700 XCSP's had the same porting as the 824 jugs of the '98 700 XC.

The trouble with the 220 style ports are that the piston rings can catch the edge and blow the engine up.
Good Call, it was titled in 01. I couldn't find that style anywhere from the 02 catalogs, and nothing from the 01, which explains why I was losing my mind trying to figure out where that style came from. Thanks for the tips

gto0209 said:
not sure about the yellow skis, but looks like a clean sled. What reeds are in it? I would pull them out and lock-tite the reed screws, I always get paranoid that they will rattle out and go through the motor.
Yeah those ski's will not last long. I'm not a big yellow fan myself. But they are newer with little wear, so I can probably ignore them for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts