Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 770 big bore pistons after having them coated at Dart Performance Machine, they are a ultra high end automotive performance engine building company, www.dartheads.com They do all types of different specialty coatings for mega horse power racing engines, not to mention they are famous for their all aluminum cylinder heads,intakes,pistons and blocks for racing applications, walking through their shop is like being in a horse power fantasy candy land, so anyway, if any of you guys are interested in have your piston skirts coated contact OMAR in the coatings department,Dart is located local to me here in Troy Michigan, they can do a standard 1 coat coating for new pistons and can also do a high build (what I had done to make up for my piston to cylinder wall clearance) for a additional small fee, here is the good part, for the standard coating it is only $15 per piston, for the high build they only charge a additional $5 per piston, take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice...and Dart is definately a good name in the performance market for autos. I don't personally have their parts on my car but know people who do and they are one of the best. Good to hear about the different coatings. Good luck. Is this going in the wedge?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whitexc said:
Nice...and Dart is definately a good name in the performance market for autos. I don't personally have their parts on my car but know people who do and they are one of the best. Good to hear about the different coatings. Good luck. Is this going in the wedge?
Yes, in the wedge later this season,(early Feb)and then will go into the wifes 99 asphalt sled for this years tar racing, should be a interesting year.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Multi-fold..

It closes the gap to eliminate piston slap, and because the coating is slippery it lowers drag inside the engine causing less wear, and less heat.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the details for the coating that I had put on the piston, and as poo kid stated my main reason for doing this was to tighten up my cylinder wall to piston clearance, had this done for $40 bucks, a new set of these pistons would have cost me over $300.

DC1 Anti-Friction Coating:
Dart's DC1 Anti-friction coating is a heat cured solid film lubricant, combining the load capacity of MOS2 and the low frictional properties of PTFE (Teflon Variant). This blend is specially formulated to perform as a secondary lubricant under conditions where oil is present. This makes it ideal for use on pistion skirts, where it prevents scuffing and galling and extends piston ring seal life. Variations can be formulated to functional optimally in nitrous engines and other applications.

Maximum Effective Temperature: 550 degrees fahrenheit
Coefficient of Friction: .02-.06

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks great. I never knew or heard of such a thing until now. Then again I dont race or know anyone who does.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
In the old days, racers used to knurl the piston skirts to take up the gap. Now they just coat the pistons to build them up.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the only picture I have of the pistons before they were coated, there was some scuffing on them, with the new coating they are smooth as a baby's bottom.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
nice stuff Steve.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone is interested in having this done I can get you the direct phone number to the coating department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts