Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I am Matt, and new to this forum. I am also new to sledding, as I started last winter. I just bought a 81 JAG from a friend, and was wondering if anybody had any technical info on it? It's an 81 Jag 4000 440. Thanx a bunch,
Matt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks anyways Rich.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
all the tech info you need as well as a complete parts breakdown of your sled
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1981/1981JAG(0250-488-1981)/
just copy the adress and paste it into the browser

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I was able to find parts, but no tech-info.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hi Matt! no info but welcome to the forum also:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, Dooer!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Welcome Jag.

What tech info are you looking for that isn't at Browns Lesuire?

I have an '81 Trailcat 440 that I restored last summer that is very similar, and I know that sled inside and out, maybe I can help.

Here it is....
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/3.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I didnt actualy buy the sled yet, but prolly this week. I was wonderin how much HP this sled has. Is it a pretty quick sled?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Original post says "I just bought...".....WTH.

Anyways, it depends on what you call quick.

Mine is light and will go 50 - 55 mph on the trail. I will not keep up with newer 440 fans like the Indy Trail 488. Without independant front suspension it will handle like a canoe on gravel compared to what's now available.

HP is in the 60 neighbourhood I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you ride with guys on 6,7,& 800's you will never stay with them. But if it's your first sled and just want something to bomb around in the ditches, it will be lots of fun, so go to it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanx 500fasenuf... But ur saying that my 440 wont hang with my friends '88 Indy 340, or what? Also, my friend is givin me 500 pistons with the sled incase I decide to change them... will they fit? Will the sled suck A LOT more gas?
thanx,

Matt

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It does have a windshield...it was off having a small crack repaired when I took this pic.

81...you will definitly be able to stay with a 340 fan...that is until the moguls start coming at you, it won't handle those or corners nearly as well.

For obvious reasons, pistons out of a 500cc engine will never fit a 440cc pot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can hang wit my friends 340?? NICE!! He seams to think that he would waste me! And I couldnt bore out a 440 to a 500? (havnt seen my head yet.. so I havnt checked myself yet)
O well.. that blows.
Matt

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the indy 340 l/c and 400 l/c are pretty quick though. same block as the 440 and 488 l/c fuji twins... If you sled's a fan, you most likely won't stand a chance.

a 340 fan on the other hand is pretty gutless.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my polaris txl 340 walks all over my nephews 440 eltigre and my brother in laws 94 jag 440. my 340 is a liquid and the eltigre is free air and the jag is fan cooled. hopes this gives ya some info

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
81_Jag, generally what were saying is that liquid cooled 340's and 440's have quite a bit more power over an equivalent fan cooled model (especially 440 race sleds). There's always an exception of course, but that's how most 2-stroke motors are.
Now for your Jag 440, i think it will be alot of fun to rip around on and get experience with. This way, you will quickly learn what you will want out of a newer machine. Overall, the Jag (IMO) is a pretty reliable machine that will get you through the snow with a smile.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thanx for the info everyone. By the way.. does anybody know of any mods, that keep efficiency, but boast the most gains, as well as being fairly cheap?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts