Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the sled show in Toronto last weekend and the NGK booth was promoting there fancy iridium plugs. Anyone ever see test results that verify the claims of more HP, better mileage and reduced emissions? Even if HP and economy was the same I would consider spending the cash if emissions were reduced. What do you think???

You know...iridium came from the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I *do* know one thing.. Iridium plugs cost a *fortune*..
Also, I agree w/ you on the emmisions thing. If I knew they would reduce on emmisions alone, I would also like to try them.
Did you know that Supermans power came from an asteroid?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the iridium plug is for the ultimate high performance engine...IMO not worth the $20 a pop for a stock sled. At max go with the EVX series.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, has anyone actually used any of the plugs in thier sled? Is there any truth at all to the claims? I just want to be sure Im getting the best from my motor, 670 rotax by the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
NGK makes awsome plugs but I dont know anyone that has tried iridium plugs..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use iridium spark plugs in both my dads 1998 xc 700 and my 1998 440. I have never heard of such claims as to the spark plugs giving u more horsepower, better emissions, etc.. The only thing they do for you is that they spark at greater percentages using less voltage. Which therefore makes it easier on your electric system especially the cdi box!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I started using Iridium plugs last season in my RXL ,and Trail. They made a noticable difference in throttle response on my RXL, but not so much on the two cylinder Trail. The biggest thing I noticed was that the Iridium's were almost impossible to foul. My RXL used to foul at least three plugs a year if I got into too much slow riding, or sucked the breather full of snow. I never fouled one plug last year with Iridium's even after my my temp sensor broke, and computer thought it was -40 and kept flooding my engine for 25miles. I think they are worth the extra money.
I don't know where they bought their plugs for $20, because I only paid $9.59CDN apiece for mine from local auto-supply store. Don't buy them from a sled or bike shop because a lot of these guys are charging too much. I'm a snowmobile shop, and I know my book says a BR9IEX is only $7.56 cost, and $11.24 retail. I only charge $8.69 apiece just to cover costs, and make a little, so thert is no reson for anybody to be charging $20, but I know some places are.
Try (www.royaldistributing.com)if you are in Canada. I think their plugs are reasonable price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by timbit
[br]I was at the sled show in Toronto last weekend and the NGK booth was promoting there fancy iridium plugs. Anyone ever see test results that verify the claims of more HP, better mileage and reduced emissions? Even if HP and economy was the same I would consider spending the cash if emissions were reduced. What do you think???

You know...iridium came from the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs...
I almost want to try them just for the total irony factor here hehe. Iridium comes in a astroid and kills the dinosaurs which in turn, turn into the fossil fuels we burn with iridium spark plugs. Killed 2 dinosaurs with 1 stone lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I think Ill give them a try. Royal does sell them for just under 10 bucks. Ill keep you all posted, I dont expect much snow near Barrie any time soon, one can only hope!
Do you still gap the iridium plugs the same as a traditional plug?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used the iridiums on my 1990 Indy Trail. They fouled after a day of riding. I just use the BR9ES plugs and never have a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts