Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 XLT Special calls for Champion N2C plugs, but I was thinking of switching to NGK plugs as I have heard that they are better. The sled currently has NGK BR8ES plugs and they seem to work great, but the cross reference charts say the BR9ES is the correct plug if it calls for Champion N2C plugs. What do you guys recommend, which are better and why?

·
Registered
312 Posts
that's like when they recomend you usaing only regular unleded 87 octane gas for your car,, is it actually gona run better then 91 or 92 octane ,, i don't think so.
NGK's will work FINE

·
Registered
671 Posts
ya they both are the same in my mind, i run ngk's got i have over 100 ov em. but if i were u id be runnin b 9s

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I always use BR9's in my '99 XC, and '81 Trailcat.
Don't know why I use them instead of Champion, just always have.

If it ain't broke....ride hard till it is...lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I say keep the Champ's. They run better in Rotax's, at least. Other than that, B(R)9ES.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Let me tell you a story about Champions.Some yearago,a friend of mine was working at Sears automotive.Everytime they would have him do a tuneup,someone wouold have to go to the auroparts and buy plugs for him,he would not use champs.One day a rep from Champion comes in and asks him to pull his Ford pickup in the shop.The rep goes out and puts on a white lab coat and gets a new set of Champion plugs for the truck.He comes in and installs the plugs and asks him to start the pickup.The truck just turns ove r and refuses to start.Rep says it is his truck,not the plugs,they put the scope on engine,and all 8 plugs are sparking,but would not start.Mechanic pulls Champs out,reinstall his old plugs,starts right up and pulls out of shop[,with rep scratching hi head in shock.
Now do u want to run Champions in your sled?
Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. I wanted to stick with NGK like everybody tells me I should. I just wanted to see if you guys agree with them.[:D]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
My sled came stock with champion plugs, still running great. I have no beef with either company. My spare plugs are BPR9ES NGK's.

Personally to me a spark plug is a spark plug. NGK or Champion. I've had good luck with both so I'm not picky.

RN57YCC or BPR9ES Doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was told that Champion spark plugs do not have a solid electrode through the plug, the top electrode and bottom are some how crimped together in the insulator. The electrode has been known to fall out, it is not a common occurence, but it is possible. This then burns a hole in the piston, gouges the cylinder wall, but in most cases welds itself to the top of the head. All are bad scenarios. He Now that NGK has an approved dual heatrange plug to replace the RN57Ycc plug I will now be switching to the BPR9ES, or BPR9EYA. The guy had visual proof of the three scenarios, he rebuilds 2stroke engines for a living, and I now am a believer!

·
Registered
71 Posts
the 9 is the heat range and NGK goes backwards so an 8 is hotter than the 9...

I like NGK v power plugs, they dont charge extra for the notch like other companies do.

BR9ES
BPR9ES is the projection plug and sits deeper in the head

ACADIAN~If it says 87 octane use it!
If a car is programmed to run on 87 octane and you always run 91-92 octane you will waste fuel and get worse fuel milage cause the motor cant burn all the fuel.
higher octane fuel burns slower so you need more timing advance to burn it all!
If you run too low of an octane the fuel all burns up before the stroke is completed and you get knock!
the 94-96 impala ss club has proven it, they have 350 LT1 engines that run on 87 octane fuel but have 10.5-1 compression!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would reccomend NGK. Iridium if u want to pay 8 bucks a pop. I have iridium on my mxzx and they are awesome, starts on the first pull compared to third or fourth!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The champs are the best for the fuji triples that used them as oem. If you havent tried them, try them you will not be disappointed, my supra turbo gets NGK's my polaris gets the champs, runs like *&$% with ngk br9es and ok with 8es, perfect with the champs.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I personally run NGK's but a couple of my buddies swear by the champs. They say they never foul them. Don't know, think it's just what each person prefers. Besides I buy my Ngk's by the box of 10 for $20 at the sled shows.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i run ngk br8es in my polaris triple, ive used br9es and always seemed to foul them, so i went to the 8's, have had good luck, only thing i am wondering is if in fact the 8 is hotter, will this do anything to my sled or should i go back to a 9, do not like champ plugs, everyone i know with new sleds throws them out, and puts in ngk, champs in my mower-go figure

·
Registered
55 Posts
ngk suck in my sled. I use to always run ngks in all my sled then i got a 500 polaris indy SP put a bran new set of br9s it worked ok for a day then it would bog so i went a bought a set of rn3c champions and the sled works wicket alot more power and they don't foul up everyday now all i use is champions anything else is crap. But i guess it does depend on the sled my dad runs ngks in his formula and it works great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Champions in the XLT 580's run waaaaaaaayyyyyyy betta than the NGK's. That's what they come with from the factory so why would you want to switch. I am a firm believer of keeping sleds stock. Afte 3 rebuilds on a 580 because it was piped and jetted I went back to stock pipes and jets and not a problem since.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
objectively now...true on how they came from the factory...I suggest we all run whatever they recommend. Mine does best on Champ's, and that's how it came from the dealer...Champ N2C's. Anyone agree??...disagree??...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts