Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never have been out night riding how is it? All the times ive been out it was morning time and rode most the day but as I am leaving there are people showing up. Guess the question would be is it worth even riding at night or a waste of time? I cant see going all out at night and even getting off the trail what is the big hype about it all? [?]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Night riding is ok but I personally prefer riding in the day when I can see everything, but riding at night does have the big benefit of a lot less traffic

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]in a way night riding is a little bit safer.
How so?

I have rode at night. However the ditches of ND kind of osuck at night because the headlight is always pointed at the sky and rarley can see what is in front of you, just have to look ahead when the light is shining on the ground and judge where stuff is at. Alot more dangerous IMO.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditch riding at night is a bad idea; however, trail riding at night can be safer. The reason for that being that you can see headlights from a pretty long distance and know when to slow down and stuff. Since trails are groomed you don't really have to worry about something being a foot in front of you and surprising you.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Im personally not a fan of night riding. Its harder to read the terrain and if you break down it can be a real pair to try to make repairs in the dark.
Another reason why I dont like riding at night is because thats when all the drunks and racer wannabes who think they have something to prove are out riding.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Actually, I think riding at night is wicked fun espically if its clear/full moon cuz I can see "lights" long ways away, etc, and if you look back its dark pitch black too! I like that stuff! needs snow bad!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by ACG
[br]
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]in a way night riding is a little bit safer.
How so?
acg i think he meant on being able to see other sleds on the trail considering theres lights. but i dont know i thought exactly what you said. night ridings more dangerous in the ditches and in the woods. last year i rooled the v-max becuase i hit a small patch of trees hurt liek **** sucked tryin to flip it over and get it unstuck in 3 feet of powder didn't help that it sat upside down to long and was flooded.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
i ride when ever i can :) night or day. nice thing about my fusion it has an udjustab;e headlight. so u can make night riding a little easier. i know it gest colder at night and the trails hold up a lil better

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I do most of my riding at night and I have always felt that trail riding at night is much safer then in the day. It is much easier to tell if someone is comming the other way at night, I have been surprised on turns one to many times by some idiot going way to fast comming the other way during the day and at least at night most of the time you will see his head light long before both of you pass.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
id rather trail ride at night you can do the light search to see if people are coming but its hard to go off the trail unless you no the area.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I like riding the Red River at night. As others have said, you can see a headlight comming around a corner way before you see the rider.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i ride all day and keep going into the nite. im not gonna let a little dark ruin my fun thats wat headlights are for :p

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I always try to ride in the day, but when I have to ride in the dark I ride in the dark.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i hate riding at night around my house because all there is to ride is ditches and fields and it isnt fun getting lost in the middle of nowhere with no gps or map at 2 am. but when im at my cabin trail riding i prefer to go at night. not only can i see people coming both on the lake and trail, most the trails i ride there is only room for two sleds side by side max and you have to pass really slow cause of the narrow trails.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I do most of my riding at night. In the night there is less traffic on the trails and you can see oncoming headlights long before you can see the sled so you have lots of time to make room to pass. There is just something about riding on a clear night with the moon and stars out. Sometimes you wouldn't even need your headlight it's so bright at night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ride in the day to start out then ride into the night. In the daylight is good because you can see everything, but the night is cool too because you can see if someones coming around that corner with there headlights instead of running into them. At night it starts to get colder so the snows a little bit better in the middle of the night[8D]

1 - 20 of 54 Posts