Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got my buddies sled here in the garage. Its a 98 Arctic Cat ZR 600 EFI. About 4000 mile on the machine. He put an aftermarket can on it and didn't get it on there right. (Not sure how) Anyway, the end result was a couple of melted pistons. It never seized, but it got both of the tops of the pistons pretty good. One piston all the way down to the ring grooves. The other was still making compression. I'm trying to get this together the right way, but cheap in the process.

Ok, heres my question. I read some time ago about aluminum melted to the side of a nikacil cylinder bore that could be removed using acid. I can't find the post now, but I was wondering what unscientific test could be done to see if this was something that would "save" these cylinders. It be nice to save 400 bones on this rebuild if we can. I don't have the proper education on these nikacil cylinders to know how far they can be pushed. Is it possible to go .010 to clean them up? How thick is the coating if anyone knows?

I appreciate the wisdom I've found in this forum. Thanks in advance for the help. - Sid

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The coating is pretty thin, I don't think it is much more than 10 thousandths, if it is even that. If it is JUST aluminum deposits, a hone job and muratic acid should clean it up just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ripperd...

About the muratic acid, I thought I read before that Lowes, or Home Depot might have it on hand? Anyone know where to get some? Also, when applying, are we talking about a total emersion bath, or just brushing it into the cylinder over the deposits, before giving it the hone job.

Thanks - Sid

·
Registered
581 Posts
one of my buddies has a blizzard 340 with twin pipes, he just melted both sides down and has rebuilt it in our power mech shop, the way i saw him use the muratic acid was with kind of like a long Qtip and he just dipped it and brushed it to the inside and let it sit for a little bit, how long... i dont know, but dont bath them, just brush it on let it sit and wipe it off with a clean cloth, make sure u dont get it on anything else than ur cylinders and wash ur hands, after that u could either bore or i assume, not positive but might be able to just hone the cylinders and put new pistons in....dont hold me to that though as i am not a mechanic but just going off of what i have viewed during his rebuild.....anyone else that can confirm any of this??

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have the same engine and the same thing happened. Its still siting in my basement ready to go back in after a complete teardown and rebuild. First thing, did he put the EFI chip in there to match the pipe? Second DO NOT try and .010 over because the nikacil is extremely thin and if any is worn down from the pistons rubbing you will lose the rings to it again. Does that sled have the updated cylinders? Because there is tones of 98 zr600 efi that have blown up and there is aftermarket cylinders. First you have to find out why it blew up, and probly split the crankcase. Because any shavings from the pistons are now lodged in the crankbearings, you should've seen the sh!t that came out of my crank bearings. Next buy a complete gasket kit and changing the crank seals, because if they sucked air that could've contributed. I wouldn't even hone the jugs but thats just me. Do not emersion bath the cylinders in that acid either because it will eat the aluminum of the cylinders. What brand of pipe did your buddy put on there anyways? If you have any other questions I will be happy to help but I'm really tired right now and can't really think. Also the moderator quinlan has the same sled and helped me with mine. Also for my piston assembly's costed me 265$cdn.

Also, lets see some pics of them jugs, that way we can tell if they're salvagable, I mean I'm using some pretty ugly ones right now so yours are probly good. And lets see a pic of the pistons that you took out of there, I had the exact same problem, one piston had the rings mashed into place the other was not to bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I knew someone on here was going to know what is going on. HE said he didn't get the can sealed to the end of the pipe. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a chip change either. I will post pics after Christmas, as we are just getting ready to hit all the holiday happenings with the family. (5 family events the next 2 days.)

Please check back Tuesday as I will get everything on here with description, to get your opinions.

Wife just caught me on the computer, probally getting coal again this year, LOL!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours, post back soon - Sid

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
have honed these before as long as there is no deep groves should be fine ,and also use a fine hone not a course, and like Wiseco says never use a ball hone

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
And NEVER use anything to hone a cylinder but the AMMCO or Lisle hones that use the parallel adjustment on the stones. Don't try to use a crappy three-legged cylinder hone on your expensive jugs.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If there is an after market can, there is an efi chip and he needs it if he doesn't want to blow it up again. You watch, 500 miles and you'll be asking the same question again "O I wonder why it blew up"

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Muriatic acid is used for cleaning swimming pools and Home Depot only sells it by the 2 gallon box (you will need a couple of oz.s to do the job of removing the aluminum). That will leave you with 254 oz.s left over so you can do 127 more cylinders. Trust me on this. What the heck am I gonna do with 254 oz. of muriatic acid?

Point is.. maybe you can talk to a pool cleaning or installing company and they will give you a few oz... then you won't have two gallons of the dang stuff sitting under the bench!

Q-tips worked fine, be patient; don't use anything sharp, you do NOT want to damage the nikacil. The acid is pretty aggressive on aluminum, you definitely do NOT want to immerse the cylinders. Patience and a gob of Q-tips works wonders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I got a few pics here. Hope they tell the story!!

[attachment=53704]
Heres the pistons as they came out...
[attachment=53705]
Strator side piston was still running
[attachment=53706]
clutch side piston top ring was still in it when it got pulled. It came out of the ring flange in pieces after that though...
[attachment=53707]
Strator side cylinder. Seems to be smooth without any grooves, or peeling. I think I can save this one at home. What do you guys think? I don't feel any aluminum build up, so should I put the acid to it anyway, before a light hone?
[attachment=53708]
This is the clutch side cylinder. This picture isn't very good, but you can see aluminum built up tward the top of the cylinder...
[attachment=53709]
Clutch side cylinder, exhaust ports, scored pretty bad, just barely feel it though. Not certain honing will take it out, what has been your guys experience?
[attachment=53710]
same cylinder, better picture...
[attachment=53711]
Last pic tonight. Long veiw of the clucth side cylinder, looking at the exhaust ports. You can see the aluminum at the top, and how long the scoring is.

Tell me what you all think, good or bad... I'm getting the acid tomarrow, and will get em ready to take over to the machine shop. Thanks again for all the tips.

Keep praying for snow - Sid

Attachments

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
all you can do is give her a try ,that pto side one is going to be tough, if you can't get it to clean up try ebay ,cylinders on there all the time

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ya, better to bite the bullet and get the jugs re-nic'ed rather than spend time and money trying to make them work when it could be iffy. Try the acid and see if it cleans them up, but prepare yourself for the bad news.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't answer any of the questions last night when I posted the pics.

As for the exhaust, when he bought the sled he said it had the after market pipe and the chip already installed. He later installed the can, and didn't have the right stuff to secure the can to the end of the pipe. He believes that he caused a major exhuast leak at that union, as he just "rigged" the can in there in the first place. I'm not sure of the exhuast make, I'll try to get some pics for you guys to look at it.

BC, I've got a buddy checking on the stuff he uses in his hot tub. If that isn't the acid I need, I've got a good neighbor next door with a pool. He's always lending a hand. I'll try there next. Appreciate the heads up on that situation.

I've been watching on Ebay, and posted a WTB ad on the site. I've got some options, just want to make sure that these are beyond honing before making any purchases.

Thanks again for all the responses. Time to get to work now...

-Sid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts