Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 XC 700 that won't idle. When I start it up, I have to hold the throttle slightly open with my left hand. Once it running, it idle, then will die about after about 10 seconds. Could the throttle cable be out of adjustment? if it is, how do I fix it as I'm fairly new to this. or do I have to adjust it at the carbs? The plugs are a browish color color after about an hour or 2 running if you need any help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgott to add that when it does idle for those 10 seconds, it doesn't even read it on the Tach if that hurts, so the idle is less than 1000, more like 600 or something

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 2 cents worth would be ...check the pilot screws on the carb..mine wouldnt idle either..pulled all 3 carbs apart..found that one of them were plugged..make sure u have some knowledge with carbs...dont want to see u have not put them back properly..exp..the adjustments..

·
Registered
366 Posts
yeah clean those carbs out. When did this start? My Xlt does this also but only when i gets plugged up with snow. I usually just bring it inside and thaw it out. then the problem is gone.

Rich

·
Registered
206 Posts
Could be you're firing on one cylinder - I had this problem last weekend. Pull the cover off one plug and see if the symptoms are the same, then repeat with the other to see which cylinder is firing. If there is no change in the idle then you've got a bad connection, or a bad plug.

If this is the problem its an easier fix that taking your carbs out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
these machines are notorious for getting out of sync carbs...have someone xperienced w/triples show you haw to sync it (even if you have to pay) i wont even begin to describe it, manuals are not mutch help unless you are very mech/inclined but once you know how its dun its a pice o' cake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts