Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at my cabin this weekend. Lots of snow tons of fun. Anyway last night my buddy goes to leave and burries his truck in the snow. Totally hung up! So I got my truck (Ranger 4X4) to pull him out. Hooked up the chain and gave him a yank He didn't budge. So i took up some slack and gave him a better yank. Only this time the chain broke! On it's way off my truck it grabbed the wiring harness and shreded it. So now i have no running, brake lights, Or turn signals. [V] So off to the dealer to buy a new harness tomorrow. Hope it's not tooo out of this world (price)

Rich

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Had a similar thing happen this summer with my buddy. He was trying to yank out a Nissan with his Wrangler, there was slack in the chain. When he started back in reverse the chain came unhooked and took his brake line with it! We ended up crimping the line with pliers and told him to be generous(sp) with the e-brake on his way home!!!
Sorry to hear of your bad luck though, hope it's not to expensive!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I'm with richie. You gotta use what you got!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
When your buried up to the axles, the only staps worth a shit are the ones that are rated a 15ton. Plus I get chains for free at work, the nice straps cost money.....damn that!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just found out that the wireing harness is obselete from ford?? how is that possible? so now i have to find a wrecked truck to pull the wireing harness from.Sux!!

Rich

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just get a Haynes service manual for your truck.It will have wireing diagram for you truck.Just take you time and rewire it yourself.Just get sopme good crimp connectors and crimpers.

What are yuou doing with a 4x4 and no snatch strap.Chains are a good way to lose your head when it snaps ,and it will.Use at least a 3Inch by 30 foot strap,throug a floor mat over it to make it drop,should it come off or break.
Rich

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Originally posted by n8fgb
What are yuou doing with a 4x4 and no snatch strap.Chains are a good way to lose your head when it snaps ,and it will.Use at least a 3Inch by 30 foot strap,throug a floor mat over it to make it drop,should it come off or break.

The same rules apply with a chain, throw a coat, floor mat or whatever over it and presto!!! If it snaps or comes unhooked the object with take the force off the chain.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought about using a manual and putting it back togther thats probally what i will do for now. But i'm going to keep my eyes open for a wreck and steal the harness out of there. Patching wiring just leaves it open to moisture problems.Thanx for the advice.

Rich

·
Registered
23 Posts
you shouldn't have any problems with moisture if its done right. Clean the wires good and solder them together. I prefer to use silver solder, but a rosin core is good too. Thin solder works best. I also get carried away with the tape. Do no use the crip connectors for long term repair, that will cause more problems in the long run.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm confused. Did the chain take out the wiring harness that plugs into your trailer, so that your trailer lights don't work? Or is it that your truck lights don't work. If it's just your trailer harness, you should be able to get a universal harness that wires right into your rear taillights. Total cost maybe $10.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no my trailer lights are fine. It ripped the wires right out of the sockets of my tail lights. I am going to wait till i find a wrecked one and just replace the whole thing.

Rich

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got the lights a ll fixed(new harness) i just had to wait for it to show up. Now i have installed an explorer limited grill and it's goin for paint soon

Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts