Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was home for break and figured we'd go out and start the stock car up for some fun. Pulled it out of the barn and fired it up, let it idle for a bit and it sounded like the lifters collapsed and it startin tickin and knocking. Thought this was odd because it only had 15000 miles before the owner traded it to us for plow. We hadn't even raced the motor yet, just gave it some good hard runs on the back roads.

Well I looked at the oil pressure gauge and it read 0, I hooked up an manual gauge and that read 0. I rev'd the car up a bit and the idle jumped when you did this, but still nothing at idle. Im stumped on why a fairly new motor would do something like this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
SBC? If so pick up tube fell out of the pump, The builder should of Tack welded it, Very common on these to happen. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup its a small block chevy. We just got done pulling the distributer out and looking down into the motor. Took and older distrib.. and cut it up and used a drill to turn the pump, and it turned freely and pumped oil out of the port we unplugged. Seems to be moving oil but maybe not enough??

Would it still pump oil if the pickup tube fell out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No If the pick up tube fell out, you would have zero pressure no matter how fast you turned the pump.

Did you try the Mechanical gauge with the drill spinning the pump?

When you rev the motor what kind of reading do you get from the mechanical guage? I allways figure 10 psi for every 1000 rps.

The only other things IMO would be junk in the pick up screen, Bad pump,or very loose tolerances on the bearings.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You could have spun a bearing. too much oil can get out there easily and it can't build enough pressure to get to the rest of the engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a valve cover off and start it if you want to know for sure if any oil at all is getting there.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We checked it with a mechanical gauge while turning the pump with a drill and the gauge never moved. Took the gauge out and left the hole open, turned it over and oil came out in a steady flow.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual gauge still shoots up to around 45 when you Rev the motor up. Im starting to think that its pumping oil but a spun bearing is not allowing for pressure. Kinna hard to believe a new motor spun a bearing this fast.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a feeling its a spun cam bearing. We pulled the cam right away and put a bigger cam in to get some more speed for track. Might have spun a cam bearing some how when doing all this!

Other then that im stumped, because it seems to be pumping oil up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am not saying your incorrect, but a spun cam bearing would cause more oil pressure. On the cam bearing they are driven into the block with the feed hole in the bearing and block lining up. So if it spun it would block off the feed hole allowing more oil pressure.

Pull the oil filter and cut it open and see how much bearing material is in it.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up a new oil pump just for kicks and started on my way. Pulled tha pan and bam there it was, the pickup tube some how came off. So hmmm seems this was the reason it had no pressure at idle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts