Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am hoping someone can help me out? I was out rising the other day on my 92 Indy 500 when all of a sudden I had no power, I thought that I might have some build up in the tunnel so my buddy lifted the back and the power was back? then it did it again after about 5 min and it started acting like I had a power band, it would bog then act normal? so i turned around to go home and oil smoke started coming from under the hood? but after a min of that all the power was back and no more oil smoke? I noticed it used a lot more oil than usual? the belt looks fine I have no clue as to what it might be, the sled has been running awesome up until my last run?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Check for a sticking oil pump return spring...

When it sticks, it will keep pumping like you're WOT, and it will be too much oil for the engine. Once it returns and you rev it a few times it cleans out and runs fine.

This also explains excessive oil usage. Your plugs should be black and/or sticky with oil.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I suggest you check it again, as it is not sticking all the time..

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
clean the oil pump too, they gum up rather easily and being 92 it probably has never been cleaned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts