Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, New to the forum and need some help. I've got a 1998 XC700 in the garage right now and it was loading up and backfiring. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them out and now I'm not getting any spark.
-It has fresh fuel and new plugs.
-I've tried disconnecting the black wire to disconnect the safety kill system and no spark.
-I tested the coils, wires, and plug caps, and those all tested out alright.
-Tested the ignition switch and its fine, the tether has been disconnected but still ran before like that so I didn't think its that, but a new one is coming anyways.
-Tested the stator out, and most tests were good. The yellow wire to base and brown wire to base are suppose to be 0 ohms, but I got a small reading, but I was thinking that could be because I had to test a different ground area on the sled cause I didn't pull the stator. Both readings were less than .6 ohms. Am I missing something here?
-Tested the Speed control Assurance deal in the throttle block. Freeplay is set correctly, and it did have some resistance when the throttle is moved off of idle. Saw in the book that this could be an issue. With the running poorly and loading up symptoms, could this be the problem?

Where are the engine grounds located? Maybe one of those came loose on me? Any help to get it running again is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Don't think there should be any reading on the stator with no load. Follow your electrical from handlebar down to stator, check for any bare wires, loose connections, etc. If stator is in deed bad. PM me, I have what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am now getting spark, but still is loading up, backfires, and dies. It doesn't want to idle at all, and it will kinda run when I feather the throttle but still will load up and eventually die, then be difficult to restart. The jets have been removed and cleaned, blew air through the passages, checked float height, and the float needles didn't have any apparent damage or wear on the rubber tips. When I pull the spark plugs after it dies, there is fuel on the plugs. Does anyone know if these fuel pumps had issues? I know it has sat for a while before I got it, and maybe the inside of the pump isn't sealing properly? Any idea's?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
did it ever run right since you bought it or did you buy it in this condition?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
my 700 was acting as if it was running on one cylinder, backfired and died. killed the CDI. put my spare on, about a week later my stator went out.

From my experiences, when the fuel pump diaphrams rip it floods the sled out horribly. costs about $15 for a rebuild kit. I do it ever couple years even if my sled dosnt need it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I just had a 2000 xc 600 doing same. It was a bad connection in wiring harness to cdi box, I cleaned it up with electrical spray and new dielectric grease and all was good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts