Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a clue as to why I lost spark on my sled? I have a 2000 mxz 800 and was riding with some friends today but we stoped at a restaurant to get some lunch and when I came back out to start it it wouldn't start! It usually starts on the first pull after it's been rode but after the 3rd pull I knew something was wrong so I pulled the plugs to check the spark and there was no spark or very little that I couldn't see it. I know they are notorious for the stators going out but that's usually while your riding them. I didn't notice anything wrong with the kill switch and I even tried cleaning the D.E.S.S. Key and making sure it had a good connection but still didn't have any spark! I haven't really got to investigate it much yet but I will probably start with eliminating the kill switch to see if the switch actually went bad but if not that does anyone have any good ideas of what else it might be? Just not sure because I have never heard of riding a sled and then loosing spark after shutting it off and then trying to start it about an hour later. Any help would be great and/or a way to test and narrow down what it is. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have this same exact problem but I have a 600. please oh please some one chime in. I walked almost 4 miles today after shutting my sled down to take a leak. worst idea I've had in a day or two. I should have just wet myself:eek:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Can anyone give me a clue as to why I lost spark on my sled? I have a 2000 mxz 800 and was riding with some friends today but we stoped at a restaurant to get some lunch and when I came back out to start it it wouldn't start! It usually starts on the first pull after it's been rode but after the 3rd pull I knew something was wrong so I pulled the plugs to check the spark and there was no spark or very little that I couldn't see it. I know they are notorious for the stators going out but that's usually while your riding them. I didn't notice anything wrong with the kill switch and I even tried cleaning the D.E.S.S. Key and making sure it had a good connection but still didn't have any spark! I haven't really got to investigate it much yet but I will probably start with eliminating the kill switch to see if the switch actually went bad but if not that does anyone have any good ideas of what else it might be? Just not sure because I have never heard of riding a sled and then loosing spark after shutting it off and then trying to start it about an hour later. Any help would be great and/or a way to test and narrow down what it is. Thanks in advance!
I would look at the kill switch first.My brothers REV 600 did the same thing out fishing.He shut it off then it wouldn't start when it was time to go.The kill switch was all corroded inside.He sprays it with WD-40 when ever it starts to act up..

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine will start on the third pull when cold(over night) and the first pull after shutting it down(fuel fill up) this problem just started a few days ago and if I let it cool down ( 1-2 hours it will start first pull ) not the kill switch, not the tether/dess. something warms and expands(stator?) or gets wet like plug. hell with it the snow is perfect I just wont shut it off going riding

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree mine does the same thing usually starts in 2 or 3 pulls if it's cold (over nite). Starts in 1 pull warm or within about 2 hours after shut off! I am defiantly gonna look at the kill switch but I tinkered with it a bit the day this problem started n didn't work mite need replacing all together. Anyways the stator usually only go's out while ur riding it. The coils and the MPEM/CDI box in the zx chassis are bullet proof so I am pretty sure it's not them but I have been hearing to check the sleds main ground wire to make sure it has a good connection and also check the wire harnesses to make sure no wires have been exposed or grounding out! Also told to make sure wire harnesses did not get wet which may be causing a short! Anybody else have any other info for me and xstroker please feel free to help us out! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
there is so many things to check, start simple, tether, kill switch, key, switch either find someone with same sled and swap parts or test open and closed values with a meter to see is they are in spec. make sure all your grounds are good and connected, make sure no wires have broken or come unplugged. then move on to bigger tests, coils cdi, stator. easiest way is compare results and switch parts with another sled of same make model and engine.
good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts