Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 1973 ski doo tnt all back together after fixing all of everything and cleaning it up. Any how i got a motor from a neighbor (tnt343) and it has no spark. I believe it has sat for a few years outside[:(]. Before i put it in i put new gaskets on and cleaned it good. When i got it it had around 120 pounds of compression. Anyone know what to do to get a spark?[?]

P.S. i did try new plugs and im sure the coil works because it came off the motor I used last year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the coilpack, suprisingly, the reason i was getting weird spark was the coilpack, I could only get one wire to fire when i grounded one on the frame. Also, check the CDI box, for as old as it is, it could be bad, especially if it was out in the weather.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure where to find this CDI box or if it even has one?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Good Luck finding a CDI box on the 1973. I'd stick with these guys above suggesting that you check the points, they are usually the culprit.

But, what if a snowmobile had a CDI back in 1973. Those vacuum tubes would have been a speed killer. Suddenly my 500 lb. snowmobile was 700.

·
Registered
13 Posts
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=FAZ1PMZBRSL1XLA0WTKSM4VMDK0NKIV0?leafCatId=31305&catId=313&store=Main&mmyId=7768

Check this out for your electrical stuff.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have that Dennis kirk book memorized already. I read it all the time during school.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well last night I couldn't get the fly wheel off( no puller) and filed the points a little and sprayed them off with the compresser. there was a little corrosion but its gone now butt.... i still have no spark. I tried changing coils and even cut a little off the plug wires and put them back in, also tried different plugs. What now.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Good Luck finding a CDI box on the 1973. I'd stick with these guys above suggesting that you check the points, they are usually the culprit.

But, what if a snowmobile had a CDI back in 1973. Those vacuum tubes would have been a speed killer. Suddenly my 500 lb. snowmobile was 700.
My '73 Harley had CDI ignition on it along with two seperate coils - one for each cylindar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts