Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 zr 580, i lost spark when i drove the sled without the stater grounded or mounted. I just changed the cdi and still no spark. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Your stator might be fried if you didnt ground it. Electronics usually wont work if they arent grounded.

·
Registered
482 Posts
hmm, yeah fried stator anyone? is the new CDI a known good CDI? Things like to find their way to ground one way or another, and its unhealthy sometimes. Dont let the smoke out of the wires, cuz if you do its really hard to catch it and put it back in the wires.

·
Registered
295 Posts
one rule you must obey: if you want to check spark you must have the plugs grounded

·
Registered
482 Posts
yes this is true, hold it to the block. Or if you dont like that they make spark testers that look like spark plugs, but they have an alligator clip that you hook to something, then watch for spark.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was a stupid mistake on my part....i didnt have the airbox ( the stator bolts to the airbox) on and just wanted to test it out. i just want to make sure the coil isnt messed up.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Originally posted by chrispy_pinder
[br]it was a stupid mistake on my part....i didnt have the airbox ( the stator bolts to the airbox) on and just wanted to test it out. i just want to make sure the coil isnt messed up.
that would be the coil that mounts to the air box. the stator is under the flywheel which is under the recoil assembly.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Like Bobinwi said, that is the coil and it does not ground through the airbox, since the aribox is plastic. It is grounded through the wire connect coming off it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I have changed the CDI and the coil and I still don't have spark. So I have the recoil off. How do I change take those four bolts off without turning the motor over? Will it damage my clutch if I just put a pry bar inbetween the posts to keep the motor from turning?

·
Registered
508 Posts
did you also check the electrical connections???try spraying electrical cleaner in them...sounds dumb but it is a cheap way to eliminate one problem..

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like the same problem i'm having,
remove recoil.
next remove flywheel.
need puller.
stator on back side of flywheel.
so i've been told.
good luck.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Stop-it!!,,before you go nut's on a (maybe) check those damn safty switches and kill switch!you can use a voltmeter or test light to check stator signal,same go's for CDI and Coil before you go to deep,I've been there replacing everthing to find out a faulty kill switch held me up!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
[br]Okay I have changed the CDI and the coil and I still don't have spark. So I have the recoil off. How do I change take those four bolts off without turning the motor over? Will it damage my clutch if I just put a pry bar inbetween the posts to keep the motor from turning?
Pull a spark plug out and feed a small chunk of rope down the hole,(long enough so it don't disappear)rotate the engine till it stops,there yah go.But check those switches first,a loss of ground WILL fry the kill switch first.[8D]

·
Registered
198 Posts
how can you check the stator and cdi with a voltmeter or test light??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay ive completely bypassed my kill switch ignition and safety switches...i have no power going to my cdi.....I'm 100% sure that its not a stupid wiring mistake or wire thats disconnected......I have the recoil off and now im waiting for a flywheel puller.....ill let you guys know hwen i have the fluwheel off.....really appreciate everyones help here

·
Registered
508 Posts
Im very interested in this one...im gonna book mark it because i want to know what the problem is..keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
[br]okay ive completely bypassed my kill switch ignition and safety switches...i have no power going to my cdi.....I'm 100% sure that its not a stupid wiring mistake or wire thats disconnected......I have the recoil off and now im waiting for a flywheel puller.....ill let you guys know hwen i have the fluwheel off.....really appreciate everyones help here
Ok,you by-passed,,did you jump the the switches? simply un-plugging won't do it.I just hate to see yah go threw changing out the stator and it (Not) being the problem.I'm not ruling out the stator,however I've encountered this before and was told by 3 shops it's the stator,to find out after hr.s and hr.s and $$$ the DAMN killswitch was fried.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you unplug the harness coming out of the stator 4-pin plug and use the cat bypass plug or jump the brown and black wires on that plug that will elminate all the safety switches.This worked for me when I thought I had everything jumped out.This is alot better than buying a stator..that you dont really need!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry it took so long to reply....but i found the problem...there was a cut wire that has underneath my bar pad that i couldnt see....thanks for everyones help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts