Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello friends! this looks like a great place to hang out and find some much needed information.
i recently swapped my efi into another chassis, and now im having problems finding spark. i think i have the problem dialed down to the round connectors by the main engine connector. ive searched thru the board looking for a diagram, but cant find one for those connections.
the connectors im speaking of are a few brown wires, a black and a black/white.

really like to hear this sled growl again, i bought the engine from a friend that had it rebult and clutched, but the chassis was wasted. luckily last year i found an xlt with a carbed 650 and a mint chassis. this is pretty much the last phase of finishing my project sled, and i think all of my no spark problems are coming directly from the round connectors. kinda frustrating having two sleds tore down to nothing, put them back together with new parts only to fight with three little round connectors. im going to do some more searching and hopefully find a diagram. like to have it tearing across the fields before dark. he he.

thanks folks

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
So are you having difficulties trying to figure out the wiring from XLT to 650 chassis?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all of the rxl wiring came out with the engine, including the handlebars. its all in now, just when my buddy did the swap he forgot to tag some wires.

ive gone thru the machine and am seeing no trouble codes. im allmost certian its the brown wires by the engine connector.

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You won't see trouble codes with the efi because the ignition is not run thru the efi. it is the same as a carb.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
RXL95 is correct. The trouble codes dealt with strictly the EFI components. But here's a diagram from a 91' should be pretty much the same as the other RXL models. But, I'm still not quite sure what round connectors you are talking about, please clarify.

[galleryattach=5068]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
these round connectors i speak of are in the same general area as the main square engine connector. i realize trouble codes have nothing to do with the spark, i was just trying to make things clearer. these connectors ive seen on other indys not being just efi, they were on the 650 carb.

judging from your diagram i see the brown wires are related to the kill switches, my problem is there is three sets of round connectors down there and i cant figger out what goes where.

is there an instructional on this forum for posting pictures, ill try and get some pics up here this morning.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like ill be going at it trial-by error again. one of these wires comes out right by the fuel pump hook up, two more come out around the main engine plugs, one is black on white and the other is white on black, looks to hook to the voltage regulator, and another is just black.

i have some good pictures of these wires, but dont know where to start posting pictures!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
When you respond you should see a paperclip on the toolbar. This will bring you to an upload screen to select the file you want to load.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks. it looks like all the brown wires are grounds, am i correct in saying this. i see that the black/white go to the cdi.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, in your diagram, the two black wires coming from the key and the kill, its hard to discern where they go in the diagram. i cant make out the letters. im guessing if i have this wire (two go into one) hooked to a brown i am grounding it, correct? problem is i cant find where this black wire used to be hooked, unless it was hooked to ground in order to kill the sled.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Looks to me that it goes towards the efi box. Best thing to do is connect them up the best way you think they should go then pull the plugs and check for spark. Check the kill to make sure it is working just incase the sled decides to take off once you put the plugs back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts