Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, So yesterday my new belt came in for my 88 A/C wildcat 650 and I picked up some new oil at the same time. I drained the old oil from last season and put in the new stuff and changed the belt ( The old one was not the right one ). Now the sled has always fierd up and rane fine as a matter of fact I had it running 2 days ago no prob, just a little smokey LOL [8D]. But right after the new belt and oil was put on it refuses to start[?] I have spark and the plugs are fine. If I put a little gas in the cylinder it will fire but it needs throttle right away to stay running and keep running for that matter. Once it warms up it will idle for a few minutes until it gets so low and stalls, Then I can pull for days and it will not start. I was just trying to get it ready for the season LOL, How could doing those two things affect the starting??. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If it burns gas, and it won't start the carbs probably need cleaning. that's where I would start. Take em out and tearem down for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Sounds to me like the belt might be too tight.
Lift the track and try it, if it runs good, and the track turns at idle then the new belt may have been grabbing and you may have a nice new flat spot on that belt.

I am no AC guy, but you should be able to adjust the drives clutch sheaves to get the right tension.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you sure you got the right belt, the AC part number is 0627-004, I sort of had the same problem with a dayco belt on mine,that I got from a Polaris dealer.first mistake!.. I have a 1990 Wild Cat and I put the correct OEM belt on $$$$$$$$$$$ and amazing to see,,,,, it worked??? but my part no. is 0627-006..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]Sounds to me like the belt might be too tight.
Lift the track and try it, if it runs good, and the track turns at idle then the new belt may have been grabbing and you may have a nice new flat spot on that belt.

I am no AC guy, but you should be able to adjust the drives clutch sheaves to get the right tension.
yeh i'd suggest to get some kind of lift, to warm up and stuff, my brother makes these things and sells them called kwiklift [;)]

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd be surpirsed to hear it was the belt causing this problem. Quick check - just take the belt off an try to run the motor. To me it sounds as if its starving itself of fuel. Carbs, fuel pump etc seem likely candidates.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Lifting the track will do the same thing as ^, but if the track starts spinning then you know for sure it was too tight.

And by the way, nice plug there racer, I guess every problem can have an expensive solution...belt too tight...go buy a lift...great idea...[}:)]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nice one 500Fasenuf. No pulling the wool over your eyes! LOL!!! Yeah you got him there !

My guess would be the belt is too tight. If not, it could be the carbs or fuel pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the problem turned out to be a slightly ripped fuel line on the fuel filter, So I cut the line back slightly and put it back on... Fired right up[:D]. But every few minutes it still trys to stall... I am thinking that is being caused by the new belt, Which is a dayco by the way. Is there any way to adjust the tension on it?. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sorry bud most of the guys on this site dont have a lot of symphathy for you ac guys but you can always put a polaris engine in it! just joking! my son had the same thing and he was always working on it and not riding. now he has a polaris.[:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts