Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78' artic cat jag 3000 with a spirit engine is giving me serious probs. I got it running, but, only off 1 cylinder. I have good compression and am getting a spark. The timing seems good. Carb has been cleaned, and I pulled the plugs and let it set for a day also. WTF? Any sugestions? HELP!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
What was the compression in each cylinder?

If you have good compression spark and the carbs cleaned then that's a strange one. Maybe fuel pump???

Are the plugs wet when you pull them out?

Report back we'll get it running!!

Have you tried to see if it will fire with starting fluid?

KB

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have been told that when a spark plug gets old and has a lot of carbon buildup on it, it wont spark under the compression in the cylinder, even though it is getting a spark when you pull it out and pull the cord. Maybe it just needs some new plugs, or maybe bad compression in that cylinder. Also, check your spark plug caps, they could be worn out, and it might not be making a connection.

Let us know what happens...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New plugs, one carb, plug wet on side closest to drive belt. No I have not tried starter fluid because it cranks over with one cylinder[V] I have NO clue

·
Registered
227 Posts
What is the compression of the cylinders. PTO=? psi. MAG=? psi.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really can't rember off the top of my head, wrote it down so I didn't have to rember, but lost the paper. I just recall it was within tolerance

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
found the paper, pressurized it to 12psi and pressure drop was 1.48lbs a minute.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have you tried putting the wire from the side that fires well on the bad side, and the bad on the good side. See if the other cylinder runs bad? Also can you remove the Y pipe of the exhaust and then shine a flashlight down the sparkplug hole and look at the piston by the exhaust port. The ring might still be seated holding the pressure, but there might be a piece of the piston missing?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
New sparkplug, right??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes new sparkplugs on both sides. If I change plug wires will it even fire due to timing?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes. Both plugs fire at the same time, always.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I try this and is fails to work, then what?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, switched the plug wires and no go on starting it, so this means my plug wires Correct??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts