Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to snowmobiles. I just got a 2004 Polaris 600 Edge Touring with about 4600 miles on it. Every time I rode lately, when I started from a stop, I heard this popping noise from the clutch side. Today, it felt like I had no power, and I smelled the belt burning a bit. I think it is slipping on the primary side. Need some help on what the problem may be. I know from my manual that I have the P-85 primary and TEAM secondary clutch. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
What condition is the belt in? Maybe start with a good cleaning of both clutches using just some soap and water. Dry them real good and buy a new belt. The new belt should sit about 1/8" above the secondary sheaves....adjusted by the locknut and bolt on the secondary clutch. Other than that, the clutches may need professional attention if you have never tinkered with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What condition is the belt in? Maybe start with a good cleaning of both clutches using just some soap and water. Dry them real good and buy a new belt. The new belt should sit about 1/8" above the secondary sheaves....adjusted by the locknut and bolt on the secondary clutch. Other than that, the clutches may need professional attention if you have never tinkered with them.
The belt appears to be pretty new, but I can try cleaning them and then put on my spare belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I forgot to mention, when I rode it yesterday, the sled felt jerky and didn't want to pick up speed. Any thoughts on what might cause that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I finally got to it this afternoon I noticed the belt was super loose. Looked in the manual to check the tension and found the deflection should be about 1 1/4". Mine was at least 2 inches. I am positive it wasn't that loose a few days ago. The only think I can think of is that yesterday it was 1ºC and the whole week before it was -20s C. Could it stretch that much on a warm day, and would it stay stretched? It's still really loose, and it was back down to -20C today. So I was going to tension it properly, and the adjuster bolt snapped right off! So now I have to tap that bolt out...

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I finally got to it this afternoon I noticed the belt was super loose. Looked in the manual to check the tension and found the deflection should be about 1 1/4". Mine was at least 2 inches. I am positive it wasn't that loose a few days ago. The only think I can think of is that yesterday it was 1ºC and the whole week before it was -20s C. Could it stretch that much on a warm day, and would it stay stretched? It's still really loose, and it was back down to -20C today. So I was going to tension it properly, and the adjuster bolt snapped right off! So now I have to tap that bolt out...
It would not stretch that much. If you can take the clutch apart you won't need to use a tap to get it out.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So I am new to snowmobiles. I just got a 2004 Polaris 600 Edge Touring with about 4600 miles on it. Every time I rode lately, when I started from a stop, I heard this popping noise from the clutch side. Today, it felt like I had no power, and I smelled the belt burning a bit. I think it is slipping on the primary side. Need some help on what the problem may be. I know from my manual that I have the P-85 primary and TEAM secondary clutch. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!
If that clutch hasn't been serviced with that many miles, then it will definitely need a rebuild. Most snowmobile owners have no clue about these things and usually once something catastrophic happens is when something gets looked at. Since you've described a sound coming from the primary, more than likely you've got a moving part(s) inside that are worn out and starting to give you grief. These sorts of things can be difficult or impossible to diagnose over internet forums, but help can be had as there are some good experienced members on here that will point you in the right direction. The more information you can provide will get you better results (pics sometimes help a lot). My best guess from your description is you have a bad bushing(s), weight pins or as previously mentioned a broken spring. A word to the wise, if you have zero experience with clutches you should take them to a pro to save time and money as these are precise rotating parts and can cause some serious damage if f*cked with.

Reactions: whitexc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts