Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Noob Question - What is Considered High Miles When Looking at Used Sleds??

48K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  ShoelessJoe 
#1 ·
I am thinking once I can purchase a snowmobile it'll be from the early to mid 2000's. In looking at the different sleds, I'm learning pros/cons, but I'm not sure what is a legitimate milage for a model year. As an example, I found a 2002 Yamaha Mountain Max 600cc 141" track Snowmobile with 2700 miles, original owner. Is that high, or more of a normal range for that year?

Thanks

#5 ·
I have a 99 MXZs with 13000 miles, an 08 XP with 7000 miles, an 02zr 600 with a blown crank at 2700 miles, and an 01 xc 500 with a brand new motor in it after 1500 miles sitting in my shop right now. It all depends on how they were ridden and cared for.

#6 ·
Buy from an older person, and it's more likely to be better kept. Look it over thoroughly and you can tell a lot - if it was stored inside, taken care of, abused, neglected, has accurate miles, etc. Avoid sled with Monster scratches all over it. Personally, whether 2 or 4 stroke, I'd try to find a sled under 3k miles. For some, they have no problem buying a 4 stroke with 8-10k miles. Do you have any relatives who are riders? Have them help you check out sleds.

#7 ·
Take in to consideration the age along with miles. Figure out the average miles per year. I would rather buy a sled with 6-7000 miles and know it was ridden, than to buy a low mile sled and know it sat a lot. Miles mean nothing to me. I look to see that it was maintained and cared for.

#8 ·
I personally will stay away from anything over 3000. Unless it is in GREAT shape and I am 100% sure it was taken great care of. I put a lot of miles on very quickly so I like the miles to be low when I get the sled.

#10 ·
Depends on motor too!! For instance a 600 Polaris V.E.S I would hesitate on anything 7000 miles or less, As I know they are good for close to 12-14,000 miles before any motor issues.

Where as say a Ski-Doo 800, anything over 3000 i'd be scared.

#11 ·
jesse500 said:
Depends on motor too!! For instance a 600 Polaris V.E.S I would hesitate on anything 7000 miles or less, As I know they are good for close to 12-14,000 miles before any motor issues.

Or any Polaris 800....

#12 ·
powderforlife said:
jesse500 said:

Or any Polaris 800....
The motor on the sled he is looking at is for the most part bullet proof. Check it over, compression check it, buy it, and ride it like you stole it.

#13 ·
jesse500 said:
I wish my prox 600 made it past 4000 miles before the bottem end let loose...

Regardless, miles really dont mean much. How the sled was riden, and maintained are what matter. Unfortunatly people will say anything to sell a ride.. Every sled I'v ever looked at was "well maintained" but odds are no bushings or bearings were ever replaced untell total failure.

#14 ·
I like to look at the out side condition of a sled myself, compression is a big deal too, My rule is anything over 4000 needs to be rebuilt or gone through and tune up really good, I don't really bother with sleds over 5,000 miles. 3,000 miles is a good milestone. Look at the tunnel, and shocks, etc. us "young" guys like to go hard on the sleds...HAHA

As a first time sled buyer myself I made a bad choice on my sled and now know what to look for myself... it had low miles a rebuild but cosmetically and somewhat mechanically it was a bad buy for the price... it all comes with time and experience... KNOWLEDGE IS KEY!! like previously mentioned above.

#15 ·
So, what If I decided to finace a new one... I'm assuming I can get a better deal on it as winter is winding down? But, if I buy one soon, I will not get the chance to use it until next snow season; which is the end of this year? Now the machine is sitting with a warrantly, but not able to run the sled during the warrantly period; seeing if there are any problems??? Any words of wisdom?

#16 ·
depends on how much you want to spend... a new sled is generally going to be "better" than a sled from the early 2000's... suspension, handling, riding position, etc...

and buying brand new, if you decide to go that route, is a sure bet because you know the sled's entire history and there aren't any grey areas. The only problem that usually comes out of buying brand new is many first model years have issues and have many entailing updates and recalls. as with any purchase, like you said, research is key!

good luck with your purchase [thumb]

#17 ·
I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a new or even a carry over with just a 90-day warranty. Depending on where you live, you still have time to take it out once or twice and determine it everything is working ok, plus you can start it over the summer every 3-4 weeks and make sure no trouble happens then either.

#19 ·
glxpassat said:
So, what If I decided to finace a new one... I'm assuming I can get a better deal on it as winter is winding down? But, if I buy one soon, I will not get the chance to use it until next snow season; which is the end of this year? Now the machine is sitting with a warrantly, but not able to run the sled during the warrantly period; seeing if there are any problems??? Any words of wisdom?
I would buy a sled that is a year or two old that has a couple hundred miles on it... unless you have the money. if you are going to buy a sled. They will typically start to lower it when the weather is probably a couple days of 40* or more then start to get into motorcycles or something...

#20 ·
When looking at miles as a measuring stick of use you need to pay attention to what type of sled you are looking for.

If you are looking at a trail sled it may have several thousand miles on it because it was ridden every weekend and put 500 miles on in a weekend. If you are looking at a mountain sled from the same year it may have been used just as much (every weekend we'll say) but may only have a few thousand miles on it because a weekend in the mountains may only be 100 miles of total riding. The higher miles on the trail sled don't necessarily mean it's worn out, the mountain sled could very easily have been ridden much harder despite it's lower miles.

The same can be said with crossovers too depending on the rider. I have a Crossfire which are common on the trail and also commonly used as off trail sleds. We ride primarily off trail (play area's, two tracks, etc) and a full day of riding can be 100/120 miles. In many areas a trail rider will have 120 miles or more in by the time they stop for lunch.

Just something to keep in mind. Miles are a good way to compare/value sleds but keep it in perspective and be sure to give the sled a good inspection before pulling the trigger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.