·
Registered
454 Posts
keep us posted.[:D]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've already got quite a bit more than what the fools said we would....the NWS said 4 to 6 after this morning's post....at my house we've got probably 7 or 8....and it's still going. HONESTLY,...it wouldn't amaze me to see 10 or so tonight...and then overnight showers bringing a few more inches. We could have a nice base for Saturday riding! They'll be rough I imagine. We shall see.

Keep thinking snow!

·
Registered
290 Posts
i got about 5 inches here in mid-michigan :D took my sled out for it's first rip of the year tonite!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
ya theyve got about 10 inches up near gaylord if you ever want to check the snow conditions you can go to this site and look at the coditions on this web cam just click the where your area is http://www.johndee.com/ncn/ncn.htm

·
Registered
454 Posts
im thinking of heading to the rose city / mio area.
maybe i should go towards grayling/gaylord/kalkaska.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live just south of houghton so Im up in the keweenaw. They tend to get a bit overly excited at times but others there spot on. I'm definitly hoping for it though. I'm heading up to the dealership right now to pick up my step dads parts and get me some carbides so I can ride tonight or, more than likely, tomorrow.

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MARQUETTE HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 1 AM EST SUNDAY. THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT."

"EXPECT SNOW SHOWERS TO DEVELOP THIS MORNING AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW DURING THIS TIME IS LIKELY TO FALL IN A RELATIVELY NARROW BAND FROM HANCOCK TO CALUMET AND PHOENIX...WHERE AS MUCH AS 10 INCHES WILL ACCUMULATE OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. SNOWFALL ACROSS THE REST OF THE KEWEENAW PENINSULA WILL BE 4 TO 8 INCHES. ONCE WINDS SHIFT TO THE NORTH THIS EVENING...THE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS WILL PRESS SOUTH PAST PAINESDALE AND TWIN LAKES. ALTHOUGH SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE LATE TONIGHT...ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL BE LESS THAN 2 INCHES."

My fingeres are crossed for myself and the rest of you guys. If we do get all this snow, I think they would open up the trails and get them groomed. 6" inhces minimum with a base. We dont have a base but with that much snow, it shoul be enough.

*edit*
Come to think of it, i better get up there now. Its a touch over 20 minute drive up there (chassell to calumet) on way. I better get going before its bad out : O. Its snowing pretty good right now. When I get back I'll take a pic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got new carbides while I was up there. But those dumbarses only got like 1/5th of my order. checked my reciept and sure enough I had ordered and paid for it. So gotta call them money.

In other news, looks we got about 2-3 inches so far, with this heavy snow they keep predicting getting moved to overnight tonight. I like the overnight the best. Cuz you wake up to another 6 inches or more of fresh snow. Instead of riding all day and packing it as it falls haha.

·
Registered
615 Posts
^^^ atleast you guys are gettin snow up there, we had a mostly sunny day down here 39 degrees on the outside this afternoon, no snow at all!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Up on trail uhmmmm 71??? I believe....going from Alanson toward Harbor Springs/Pellston/Cross Village, etc...we got about a foot of new snow yesterday....and it's still falling. I shoveled about an inch or so off the sidewalk this morning. The lake effect is absolutely pounding certain areas. I guess if you live behind two ski resorts....you should expect snow will fall. :)

They panned the west trails in this area either last night or the night before...helps freeze the ground faster from what they say. No grooming until the ground freezes and people ride to pack the first base. SO....get up here!

I took a half our trip yesterday down the trails...they weren't bad. Alot of stupid weeds popping up and getting caught in my sled...but only in certain areas...overall it wasn't bad.

It's supposed to get warm this weekend....BUT no rain....get out and heiki lunta this week!

Thats it for Northern Michigan this morning. Have a good one.

Derek

·
Registered
615 Posts
^^^^ thats always a good sign!!
im gonna have to check out the trail reports i havent looked at them for awhile
my parents have a place just south of houghton lake that i always go to and ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never been that far south....I'll have to check it out some time. So they are grooming up here....BUT if you're going from Alanson to Indian River....which is a connector trail...that will see TONS of traffic....SUCKS! The first few miles outside of Alanson are through a swamp...and of course the ground isn't frozen....so I rode through quite a few small lakes yesterday trying to get to more snow.

We rode over in the Cheyboygan county area just outside of Petoskey....it wasn't too bad. The groomed trails were miserable...but in Cheboygan county...all of their ATV trails are great for sledding...and they allow it! They aren't groomed...but we're working on keeping some of them open through the winter for easy access to trails. It's a personal effort....but anything to help the cause. :p Fun stuff.

The moose jaw trails aren't too bad north of Harbor Springs...there are some fields with weeds popping out...but I've seen much worse. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by dallerding
[br]They started grooming last night. :)
Yep. Got word from my gf's dad he saw a groomer and my buddy that works at a polaris shop/dealer said they've been grooming. Not fullout draging the big skid but more so prepping the trails for the season. Making a base I'd imagine.

I guess my step dad got a email from local club owner/leader (whatever he might be) and the s-dad wanted to know if I'd go help them out this saturday marking the trail going from chassell to baraga. Thought It'd seem pretty neat and helpful so I'll help [8D]

So far snow's varying all around here. Like 10 minutes north (houghton/hancock) has probably good 8-10. Here in chassell looks to be 6-8, and up at my parents (still chassell but good 150-200ft higher up) have about 12 inches. I rode yesterday first time on my new bought sled and its fast [:D]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They're simply panning the trails now....which I guess is dragging the back of the groomer along the trail...packs it down for base from what I understand. I went riding yesterday...trails in NW Emmet County aren't bad at all because no one uses them this time of year except locals. Everyone else has already destroyed the other trails. If slow was the goal...then all of them would be in good shape....but because everyone drives so darn fast all of the corners and hills are covered in dirt and rocks. AHh well. Just my complaint. :)

Anyway...we have about 20 inches of snow at my house...which I imagine would lead to a few inch base on the unused trails. Good riding yesterday anyway. :)

Good thing it's Friday...this desk job stuff is KILLING me.....

-Derek

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trails are gone....the 20" of snow that was in my yard...is probably now around 5 or 6...with many bare spots heading into the woods....and it just continues to rain. 41 degrees today on my way to work...I mentioned in another post...the 21st looks like our turning point though. Who knows what'll happen....but it'd better snow!!!!!

Derek

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's amazing what can happen in a week isn't it. I remember when it was a guarantee you could go riding in mid december.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts