Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input from people living in the northern Ontario region, ie North Bay, Whitney, Sudbury etc.

Wouldn't mind heading up to one of these areas when the conditions get good as they always seem to get the good white stuff before my riding area does.

Anyways, lets hear it from anybody living in these regions.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
well im not from that area, but i do ride there quite often. my oponion of the trails, are that for the most part are notch, most places you will have to wait until suffecient snow fall for a good base. do remember northern snowmobile clubs take great concideration into building and maintaining a good snow base

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm Timmins, never thought of heading up that way. How much further north is that compared to Sudbury?. I'm just trying to estimate how long of a road trip it would be from Muskoka/ Haliburton Highlands.

Also, hows Timmins for accomodations and places to dine?. I've never been there so just trying to get a sence.

Anyways, keep us updated on this snow your talking about!.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I look after posting trail conditions on the OFSC website for Rainbow Country Snowmobile Association which includes Killarney, Nairn Centre, Massey, Espanola and Manitoulin Island.
You can visit our website www.rcsasnow.com
Discounted trail passes can be purchased through this website until December 1st, 2006. Also help with guiding and planning of trips may be done through this website.
My email address is posted on the website if you need more info.
Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ideal day rides that I suggest are from Espanola to Killarney, Espanola to Manitoulin Island, Espanola to Elliot Lake, Espanola to Sudbury etc... Espanola is a 2.5 hour drive by vehicle east of Sault Ste Marie Ontario and 1 hour drive west of Sudbury
Secured parking and lodging can be arranged at the Pinewood Motor Inn in Espanola 705-869-3460 let them know that Dennis sent you

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Ultra,
I've left Little Britain @9:30 and been up in North Bay by 7:00. Timmins is probably 6-8 hours from there.
I've also done Sudbury to Cochrane (via Gogama, Shiningtree, Timmins)in about twelve hours. Came back to Sudbury via Temagami ,great trails except for about 20Km where the going gets slow (not good when you have to make it back or the wife will kill you).Trails are spectacular, you'll love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Matt, thanks for the information. I'm writing all this down, trying to figure out the best places to explore.

Just curious about lodging and dining?, any good places you can recommend for the areas you sugested Matt?.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are tons of places to stay and eat at right on the trails. We stayed at a Comfort Inn (or some chain hotel) in Sudbury right beside the giant nickel. They let us leave out tow rig in the parking lot. Ate at some lodge around ShiningTree, I can't remember the name, but it was well advertised on the trail. Food was great. They had gas there too, but if you went 1/2k into the little village it was 0.15 cheaper! (although I think we had to wait for the girl to unload her groceries and kids to open up the pumps). Stayed at a Travelodge in Cochrane right accross the road from the train station. It was clean, had a sled lockup, had a hot tub, served breakfast. We had supper in some restaurant that was a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel (desk clerk recommended it to us).
North Bay we stayed at another Comfort Inn, all the amenities, sled lockup etc.. Ate at some bar, don't remember much else. lol
Renfrew, we stayed at some place next to a schnitzel house. When we checked in the clerk said "Our rooms aren't the most modern, but they're priced accordingly". I really wish we had stopped at the Best West that was right on the trail in Deep River, it looked so nice when we went by it. The schnitzel was A-1 though.
I go mid week, so reservation are never an issue. North Bay and Sudbury have lots of places to stay. The smaller towns I'd probably book ahead on week-ends. You don't want to show up in Cochrane low on gas, -25C at midnight and not have a place to stay (Cochrane may be a bad example, there seemed to be lots of hotels, but you get my meaning). We usually ask a desk clerk about dining in town or stop someone on the street.
Good luck, you'll have a blast. It's not like going through Lindsay, the whole area is absolutely dedicated to providing sledders with a great experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.