Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got my 91 Ski-doo Safari out for an ice fishing trip. With just me on the machine it topped out at 60 kph. The speedo goes to 140 kph. It's a 377 Fan cooled single carb with a new track. Nothing fancy on the track looks like a stock replacement. Anyone got any ideas why it would be so slow? My 1980 340 Enticer was twice as fast. Thanks

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The speedo has nothing to do with the top speed.

As far as the top speed, are the rpm's high?

Could be geared for it, or I believe when the clutches are bad they don't shift properly causing a lower top speed (or no power on low end).

Try jacking the backend up and running it, see if the belt raises all the way.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Enticer 340 are fast littel sleds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackcat when you say 'does the belt rise all the way' are you saying it should ride at the top of the sheaves when it's going flat out? I looked at the primary sheaves and they are real shiny. should they be a little roughed up to improve the grabbing of the belt? Thanks

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Mabye it's just super low geared. Where did you get the sled?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by sterios
[br]Blackcat when you say 'does the belt rise all the way' are you saying it should ride at the top of the sheaves when it's going flat out? I looked at the primary sheaves and they are real shiny. should they be a little roughed up to improve the grabbing of the belt? Thanks
The belt at wot should rise to the top of the primary and be down in the secondary. use a marker and draw lines on both clutches to see how far it comes up in the primary and how far down it is going in the secondary.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You should get 80 - 100 km/h. Check your belt to see if its worn, a worn belt will kill your top end.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys. I called to original owner I bought it from and he said the belt is four years old and he noticed it was getting slower as well. I'm going to replace the belt and go try it out. Would an OEM belt do or should I look for something else? Once again I only use it for ice fishing so I don't need anything too extreme. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts