Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a little problem. I was having a bogging problem and she was shutting off at idle. I had the carbs cleaned and I replaced the seats and needles. The sled is idling a lot better but still shut off today after a while. When I take off the plug wire to see if she's going to die down I get no response on the third plug. I do have more power then before I did the carbs but it still doesn't feel quite right. Is it possable to be just running on two cylinders, and if so is this a problem. Would it cause any damage? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
yes running on two cylinders is a problem. do a compression test. buy a tester--great investment. You can also verify if the cylinder is not running by letting the sled run for 5 minutes and placing your knuckles quickly on each "branch" of the exhuast manifold, aka y-pipe. hot = the corresponding cylinder runs. warm or less than warm = not running.

· Registered
708 Posts
It sould be fairly obvious (rough running/no power) if only on two cylinders. You could take the suspected plug (or all) out one at a time and pull it over to see if they are getting spark. What color are the plugs, is one wet after idling? Have you been able to dive it at all or has it only been sitting idling? If its running and you pulled the plug cap and it didnt change rpm or anything then that cylinder isnt firing. Another way to test it is put a little dab of now on the exhaust pipe near the head while running, if it sizzles then its been firing, if it just melts then its not. Check all three to compare (if you dont have a temp gun). Maybe you just have bad wires/caps. Ever replace them?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I'll check the pipe first thing in the morning to see if it gets hot. But you say it's a problem on only two cylinders, what could happen? the sled is fairly new to me, second season but I never had the chance to use it much last year so it could have been running on two cylinders for a while! But i definitley have more power now with the carbs done.

WMarshy said:
It sould be fairly obvious (rough running/no power) if only on two cylinders. You could take the suspected plug (or all) out one at a time and pull it over to see if they are getting spark. What color are the plugs, is one wet after idling? Have you been able to dive it at all or has it only been sitting idling? If its running and you pulled the plug cap and it didnt change rpm or anything then that cylinder isnt firing. Another way to test it is put a little dab of now on the exhaust pipe near the head while running, if it sizzles then its been firing, if it just melts then its not. Check all three to compare (if you dont have a temp gun). Maybe you just have bad wires/caps. Ever replace them?

The third plug comes out clean, no oil on it, well atleast it did today, i had it running for just a few minutes, but no I haven'ty replaced the wires yet, I was thinking about doing this though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.