Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have 112 miles on this new 800 XCR triple/triple and absolutely love it, but how would I even know, I haven't riden a true super sled ever! Any tips on specific things to keep an eye on mechanically with this particular machine? Anyone with 800 XCR experience and advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Drop a line for more details, have a few tips, I run a 01.
112 miles on a brand new xcr..? The things will eat front pto mounts if you hook hard constantly. Look for a torque arm setup, htg.slp etc.. Studs is a must it you run trail. I have a stock track with 192 fast tracks II's and round machined backers. 3800 miles now. Next new track will be a min 1" or a 1.25 and 144 in the middle. Seriously considering a 136" kit. Last year had one clean pull through on a outside stud. Ran the same 144 studs on a 97xcrse, 7800 miles no isues.
To say it spins is a understatement, Now looking at ways to settle the spinning.I've added 2 g's on the front clutch, (62g from 60g), which helps, now looking for a quicker ramp helix, Stock is a 50-36, looking for a 52-36, not sure if I want a striaght cut or a progressive.Stock clutching is just about bang on for most applications.
Not sure where you live but most placees would allow for a least a one step down in jetting.
This summer I put on the extra idle set in the back, suppose to help running a lot of studs.Also put on the superslippry sliders and aligned the undercarrage. I can now pull it back and forth on snow with hand easliy. It pretty much rolls off the trail on it's own when tilted.
Lsst weekend was out riding up north with all twins. One new Zr800efi and a two skidoo 600's. This was fast open country. I had to pry these guys off my sled. Silky and smooth, on rails, were the common words..I was pretty impressed with the cat, but not enough to move. Also tried a rev 800, again, feel like big torque, but not faster.
The Rev seems to be the worse on gas, on 3/4 tank fill up's I was consistantly a $1 more. (in litres up here )
Does'nt run too bad for a big fat sled off the cool scale hmmm? What kinda sled you coming from?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good advice Gb I just wanted to mention that the clutch mods you are considering will attempt to increase acceleration and there for spin your track even more. I dont have the answer yet but my Heel clickers are causing too much spin on most surfaces too. going to work on transfer. It has way less than the ultra.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Started down this route after getting advise from some clutching guys. I'm no expert. eheh . Guy I know in Montreal racing them and suggested I load it up faster so it would pull the taller gear quicker. Seat of the pants tells me the 62's helped, ramp should do more.
I know a guy down in NH that runs hellclicker and swears by them, he's won a the local grass drags his way.
Your running strapped down or in trail trim. hotrod.? I mounted the stiffer rear springs and dial them up and pull up the front quite a bit. I tend to like a bit of wieh ton my skies.
Played with gearing?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No gearing changes yet. The clickers do work very good if I get traction. None of the big twins can touch me out of the hole any more. My ultra would transfer so easily that my skis were up on any hard acceleration, even from 80 mile an hour. It was too easy but it was fun. The only time I lift skis due to transfer on the XCR is after I dig a trench and it finally grabs on the grass. And even then it doesnt carry them far. As far as loading it up quicker, The clickers are 57 grams, the heel is 7 grams and we add 5.5 more in the heel and 5 more in the middle. So Im up around probably 72 grams at the beginning gradually dropping back to around 61 at the top to hold rpm. On asphalt, or grass with tons of picks they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was spooked off the heelclicker orginally because I hear you had to cut away some of the spider to make them fit. This true?, easy install?
What are you running for a helix?
Your ultra have the extra 12? Last year looking for a second sled, I missed a 97 with a 1000htg ves in her. Guy only wanted 3000 bucks, i think it had issues. Would have been a nice sleeper.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No, the ultra has the extra 10, but I moved the RRSS. R12 helix in the XCR. Yes, you have to provide clearance for the rotating heel but not on the spider, on the sheave. Very easy to install after you remove the necessary material. The trick is to do it very carefully and very acurately to keep balance in the clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts