Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be clutching my 97 XLT SP in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to decide how many studs to put in my new 1 inch Camoplast track.

I'm going to be getting EPI's Pro Series Quad-cut helix with the EPI white spring in the primary, and their yellow spring in the secondary.

Originally I was going to go with 120 studs, which is more than adequate for a 600cc sled with around 100 hp. However I do ride aggressively, and I'm worried now that with this clutch set up, 120 may not be enough. I don't want to jump up to 144 unless I have to. With the excess weight from the extra studs, combined with the rotating mass, I'll probably loose some top end speed.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this?

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
637 Posts
Make sure you take your weight into consideration as well.. IMO I would go w/ the 144....

what pattern are you planning on using if you go w/ 120..?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally weigh 167lbs, and I hadn't decided on a pattern yet. I understand that the "V" pattern is pretty good. I don't know if that would work with the 120 or not. I'll be getting a template as well.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
637 Posts
The problem w/ the 120 patterns I've seen are the gaps they leave, to me this is just an area where added stress is going to occur.. especailly on the outer most section of the track..

120 pattern.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been riding with 120 for 5 years now on my 583; haven't lost any yet. (knock on wood!) I'm pretty sure that's my pattern on the post above; it's pretty standard.

Jacqui

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
not the pattern I would use but I guess its the assymetrical aspect. I would move that odd one down or move the other outside one up. Just the balance feels mroe right to me. I don't have a set pattern for it though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would go with 144. 120 would most likely work very well, but if you go with 144 studs, the additional 24 studs are not going to slow you down any more. I had 144 in my 93 XLT special that was piped and clutched and it worked great. The most important part about studding is the pattern. Pick a good pattern that uses as many scratch lines as possible and does not repeat for a while.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have 120 in my XLT and that's a different pattern than I have. I have studs on every other bar on the outside and it's a different V pattern? In fact I'm studding my new 600 120 tomorrow with the same pattern. I found mine in one of our Canadian distributer's mags. Royal Distributing. Believe it's the Stud Boy pattern. Sorry...stand corrected. Just looked back at your V pattern and it's the same but I have more studs on the outside. Mark

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you have the same v-pattern, and have studs every other bar on the outside you are running a 144 stud pattern.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is Woody's Trail 120 pattern:

This is their Trail 144 pattern:

This is their 96 Performance pattern:

And this is their 144 Performance pattern:

They don't have a 120 Performance pattern.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The only stud on my sled is the one driving it ;-)

-Dean

-
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you guys check under the my sled section, and look at Triumph Pics...you can see the woody's 144 trail pattern i put on my triumph.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's the one Tfin. The Woodys 120 pattern

1 - 14 of 14 Posts