Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again. This happened 2 years ago and now this all over again. I know MN just had a run in with the same BS. I think Im going to give up on registering my sled from here on out. Im just gonna ride rr tracks and power lines out by my house. I think I need to move to AK or something. Goto www.charltonsnowmobileclub.com for the example letters and links on how to contact these people. Its on their home page...just scroll down.

ALERT!! YOUR SNOWMOBILE REGISTRATION MONEY IS BEING RAIDED IN THE GOVERNOR'S BUDGET
Governor Patterson has proposed in his 2010 Executive Budget to “sweep” $5 million dollars from the snowmobile trail development and maintenance fund into the general fund over the next several years. What you may not be aware of is that the Governor proposes to sweep $1 million from the trail fund this current fiscal year! This unprecedented sweep, coming less than two years after a previous attempt to take $1 million during the 2008-2009 budget process.

This unprecedented sweep is being proposed less than two years after a previous attempt to take $1 million during the 2008-2009 budget process was avoided with the understanding by NYSSA and its supporters that similar raids would not be attempted in the future. Governor Paterson stated in a press release at the time that the state would “ensure that money from these registration fees will be spent in a way that specifically benefits snowmobilers… solely on trail maintenance and related program activities.”

If not amended by the Legislature, the Executive Budget will redirect $1 million from the Snowmobile Trail Development and Maintenance Fund to the state’s General Fund each year, and expand the authorized uses by the state of these funds. This will have a tremendous negative impact on trail maintenance activities as the loss of these funds reduces the reimbursement rate clubs get per mile for the costs of trail maintenance. One million dollars represents over 20% of the total trail fund monies and is far in excess of what the state needs to maintain and develop the minimal trail mileage on state lands.

Every snowmobiler needs to take action immediately by writing the their legislators and the Governor to head off the snowmobile trail fund raid this year! Please write a letter to each one to ensure they know how many people from their districts are opposed to this action.

If you utitlize an example letter below, it is critical that you personalize your letter with your own comments on this matter in a clear and respectful manner.

Example letter to Governor Paterson (MS word format)
Example letter to Governor Paterson (Text file)

Example letter to your State Senator or Assembly Member (MS word format)
Example letter to your State Senator or Assembly Member (Text File)

Find your NY State Senator contact information here, Find My State Senator
Find your NY State Assembly Member contact information here, Find My Assembly Member

To view NYSSA President Mike Fischer's letter to legislators this week click HERE
To view Governor Patterson's July 10, 2008 press release click HERE

·
Registered
192 Posts
this was already coverd, here.. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/111396/display.aspx , actually you already knew that cause you even replied to that topic. why bring it up again and get people pissed off all over again???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woops...your right. My bad. I thought that the NY one was on another site I belong to, and the MN one was on this site. Sorry...I just wanted to make all aware. Well who ever did not send a letter/email the first time......please think about sending it this time!

Thanks[thumb]

tshack420 said:
this was already coverd, here.. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/111396/display.aspx , actually you already knew that cause you even replied to that topic. why bring it up again and get people pissed off all over again???

1,792 Posts
robosnow said:
Here we go again. This happened 2 years ago and now this all over again. I know MN just had a run in with the same BS. I think Im going to give up on registering my sled from here on out. Im just gonna ride rr tracks and power lines out by my house. I think I need to move to AK or something. Goto www.charltonsnowmobileclub.com for the example letters and links on how to contact these people. Its on their home page...just scroll down.
What people need to do in force is register your sleds in another state and spend your snowmobiling dollars (hotel, snowmobiling parts...) out of state and let the local businesses/DNR know that you are only going to spend your money where it goes back into supporting snowmobiling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts