Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I ride a KLX 300 Kawasaki in the summer. It has an O-ring style chain on it but I cannot figure out how to get it off. I cannot find a master link in it. Believe me, I looked, two or three times. I would like to take it off for service. You know, clean with solvent and relube. I use chain lube everytime I ride but it is getting all gummed up and I would like to take it off for service. Any help? Do I need to break the chain the first time and then install a master? This is the original chain on the bike and I am the original owner. It sounds dumb that I cannot get it off without a chain breaker, but?

Any help? Or has anyone else seen this before?
Dennis

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exciter,
Yes, I looked there too. Maybe I should look under the seat? Ha Ha.

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
hmm im not to familier with bikes, but is their a chain tensioner or something you can loosen to slip the chain off?? Do you know if the chains ever been replaced befor?Mabe factory ones dont have a link in them and you have to split it and put your own link in??just a idea..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, It is not to big a deal to get the chain off the sprocket and pull the rear wheel but the chain is still goes on both sides of the swingarm, so there is no way of getting it off. This is the original chain on the original bike. I am the 1st and only owner so I know nothing has been changed or tampered with. I am wondering if these newer bikes were manufactured with a pre-made chain and installed during assembly. I have been riding bikes for 35 years and have never seen this before.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
heres the deal d noel when i replaced my chain on my wheeler 400ex believe it or not there was no master link i thought it was odd to but some quads are like that so what i did was put a grinding ball on the end of a good drill and grind your way through that sucker like i did [:D] i looked for the master link for at least an hour then some guy on the internet told me 400ex has no master link [:D]

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
if u have any more questions d noel i would be more then happy to try to help ya out as i think im becomming a quadjunkie[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
For motorcycles with no master link or clip, you can do as lars did to get it off, or go to a dealer and get a special press tool to squeeze the pin out. I think a generic one will work. When using the press tool, i think there is a specific link on the chain with no peened edges so it can come apart. You may still have to buy a single link to get it back together. It's a shame O-ring chains are so difficult to work on....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
D
I used to work in a honda shop a long time ago and a lot of chains came in one piece. To remove it was common practice to break the chain with a chain breaker and then put in a master link when reassembling. If you don't want to buy a chain breaker ( there probably not very expensive) just grind the peened end off one of the pins and drive it out with a punch. Chain breakers work much better though.

Here I just found this in DK for like 10 bucks

http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=28117

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Chains on most new dirt bikes do not come with a master link, so as polarisxltsp has stated, a chain breaker is the ideal way to get the chain off. Funny, but the manual for my DR states that you should remove the swing arm to remove the OEM chain, yea right. When you get your next aftermarket chain, it will come with a master link and make your life much easier.

To clean the chain, there is no need, IMO, to remove the chain for a good cleaning. I use kerosene and a grunge brush as seen here:

http://www.whitebros.com/PDFsections/Tools.pdf

It does a swell job of cleaning the chain.

For your convience, a chain breaker is also listed on the above referenced link.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies. I figured it must be a new deal on O-ring chains that they come without a master. I have broken and reassembled many chains while I was a mill wright but had never seen it on a cycle. My old Honda XR350 and Yamaha TT350 both had O-ring chains and a master. Kawasaki must be different or just the way the newer bikes and quads work.

Thanks again guys,

Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts